It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:06 pm Advanced search

Ceramic Weld Spatter Guard

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

Re: Ceramic Weld Spatter Guard

Postby soutthpaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:07 pm

MigMac wrote:Hi
I agree (to an extent) with Mike 27. Using ceramic coating as regular anti spatter is extremely expensive.
However there are (must be) cases where the job justifies the cost. I guess you could mask off the parts pre weld to stop spatter on the job but avoid the actual weld.

Re the costs.....I think the BorNiGuard can has 11 fluid ounces while Loctite has about 9.5.so as far as one can being cheaper you have to consider how many ounces you get for your buck.

I've tried both and the BorNiGuard builds a thicker film faster, so it likely has higher ceramic solids.
By the way Southpaw... What colour is your Loctite. I thought it should be white like the borniguard but My Loctite was a pink-ish coating from the first can, but not the next. ?

Weld on .....

regards

MigMac

Well I'm color blind, but it's not white, It looks like a light grey primer which you might call light pink I suppose
soutthpaw
Weldmonger

Postby MigMac » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:38 am

Hi
Curiosity got the better of me and I asked around.
I'm told (may not be true) that this happens when the cans are old and the solvents (chemicals) in the can start to corrode the protective paint on the inside of the aerosol.
It seems the inside of the aerosol has a coat of paint to protect the metal can from damage from the stuff inside.
When the cans are old this paint dissolves into the ceramic the color changes.

May be true maybe bull...

Regards
MigMac

Postby Alleycat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Tried the BorNiGuard on laser table slats. Four rows were coated for side-by-side comparison.
Attachments
SlatSlagTest 1.jpg
SlatSlagTest 1.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Alleycat

Postby Otto Nobedder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:08 pm

Alleycat wrote:Tried the BorNiGuard on laser table slats. Four rows were coated for side-by-side comparison.

I'd call that a definitive result!

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Alleycat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Ceramic coating is getting popular in oxy-fuel cutting applications. Usual benefits - reduced downtime and consumables. Image
Alleycat

Previous

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding