mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

MigMac wrote:Hi
I agree (to an extent) with Mike 27. Using ceramic coating as regular anti spatter is extremely expensive.
However there are (must be) cases where the job justifies the cost. I guess you could mask off the parts pre weld to stop spatter on the job but avoid the actual weld.

Re the costs.....I think the BorNiGuard can has 11 fluid ounces while Loctite has about 9.5.so as far as one can being cheaper you have to consider how many ounces you get for your buck.

I've tried both and the BorNiGuard builds a thicker film faster, so it likely has higher ceramic solids.
By the way Southpaw... What colour is your Loctite. I thought it should be white like the borniguard but My Loctite was a pink-ish coating from the first can, but not the next. ?

Weld on .....

regards

MigMac
Well I'm color blind, but it's not white, It looks like a light grey primer which you might call light pink I suppose
MigMac
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:18 am

Hi
Curiosity got the better of me and I asked around.
I'm told (may not be true) that this happens when the cans are old and the solvents (chemicals) in the can start to corrode the protective paint on the inside of the aerosol.
It seems the inside of the aerosol has a coat of paint to protect the metal can from damage from the stuff inside.
When the cans are old this paint dissolves into the ceramic the color changes.

May be true maybe bull...

Regards
Alleycat
    Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 am

Tried the BorNiGuard on laser table slats. Four rows were coated for side-by-side comparison.
Attachments
SlatSlagTest 1.jpg
SlatSlagTest 1.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Alleycat wrote:Tried the BorNiGuard on laser table slats. Four rows were coated for side-by-side comparison.
I'd call that a definitive result!

Steve S
Alleycat

Ceramic coating is getting popular in oxy-fuel cutting applications. Usual benefits - reduced downtime and consumables. Image
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Just got a sample can today from my welding supplier, and I'm excited to give this a try.
Thanks for all the previous posts and possible applications!
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Tried Walter’s version of the stuff for the first time on my latest project. Doing some heavy stuff and my gun got too hot the gel stuff was useless after 2 dips I had a container of liquid and I actually set it on fire once it got so hot from my gun constantly dipping.

Used the ceramic for a day and never looked back. For really hot jobs especially its 10 times the stuff that gel is.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

I just tried to pick some of this stuff up for work but the guys at the welding supply looked at me like I had two heads when I even mentioned the stuff. Anyone by chance know any shops in South Eastern FL that has this stuff? They'd rather get from a store than buy online here.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
Alleycat

Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

I've been using Walters ceramic coating now for approx a little over a year.

Once my LWS convinced me it was worth the extra money I tried it out and have never looked back.

Walters can has a neat applicator that helps get all the inside coated with the gun fully assembled.. just a little push and a twirl usually gets the whole inside coated on my gun.

And to boot I started using it on a dirty gun setup that had been used for 6+ months with regular gel and spray and the ceramic still works great even though it didnt go in a clean surface.

As far as cleaning goes I'll usually just need to give my nozzle a light tap on the table and out comes all the spatter. I've never had anything really 'stick' to the nozzle since I've started using it.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Alleycat

Check this out: Safe and Efficient application video. No other ceramic supplier explains it this way. https://www.borniguard.com/product-information.html
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

I use the Loctite brand, it rocks. not a well-known fact (because who but me would waist it) helps on drill bits loading up too on soft materials. lol
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Wow, this is a old thread.

I might have to try spraying the ceramic spray on drill bits and see how well it works. Interesting.