mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Well I was surfing Craigslist last night and came across an ad in a neighboring city of a body shop that upgraded their welders and had a Handler 180 with regulators, cart, partial roll of wire, basically every minus a hood and tank for $275. I used to have the handler 140 and liked it alot but was forced to sell it when I was laid off and needed to pay bills. Anyhow I emailed him immediatly and he just responded that he sold it this morning but has a couple more that he will be selling once he gets them cleaned up and ready to go. I bought the 140 brand new from tractor supply and was over $500 if I recall correctly so the price tag of 275 seems like a steal to me. He said as soon as the others are ready he will let me know so time to start saving my pennies I guess.

Does anyone here have the 180 and have any opinions on it? I know it was replaced by the 190 and am just not sure if that was due to known problems with the 180's or why they did that but would like to know before I dish out any money for them at all.

Thanks in advance, Ben
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

They are just the older model.
They went--180-187-190.....
Still a great welder.
$275, probably couldn't buy that bottle.

Look it over good, weld with it.
Then buy it and run!!!

John
Last edited by AKweldshop on Mon May 19, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

First, I have only seen about two or three Hobart welders. While there is now an importer for them into Western Australia, they are not common in my state. And of the those I have seen, I used one for an hour. It worked a treat, and the owner was very keen on it, and he could weld nicely. So, my experience is very limited, but very positive.

The information supplied with the Hobart I saw was the most detailed I have seen supplied with a welder (much more detailed than Lincoln published, though they have been very helpful in after-sales information).

The only comment I would make is that the voltage control on the Hobarts I have seen was with either four switches, or an eight point selector knob. That is, none of them had continuous control of voltage. That was a point of interest for me, when I last went shopping for a welder.

But this, it seems, is not much of a "criticism". The machine sizzled along.

AKweldshop wrote:They are just the older model.
They went--180-187-190.....
Still a great welder.
$275, probably couldn't buy that bottle.

Look it over good, weld with it.
Then buy it and run!!!

John
Awesome now I just await the response from him saying they are cleaned up and ready to go....

Also what should I be looking for while checking it over good other then the obvious drive rollers, whip condition, regulator, and function of the knobs? I have never bought a used welder before, only that Handler 140 which was new. I do plan on trying it out since he owns a body shop and dont see any problem as to why I couldnt lay a few beads with it quick prior to paying for it....

He did mention he had a couple more to sell so if anyone is in the Northeast WI or Upper MI area and is interested I can ask about the others and maybe see if we can get a discount for buying multiple machines.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Make sure the gun is in good shape.
Take the tips and nozzle off and check the threads...

Check the regulator, make sure it doesn't leak, and hold pressure.
Check the drive roller, rollers etc....
Try it on all settings, make sure the wirefeed is going up and down, and not stuck.
Other than that, its mainly cosmetic that will change it....

Can you post a pic or 2 of it???

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

He took the ad down since he sold the one that was posted but once I get the email from him about the others and get some pics I sure will. From the pics he did have up the case didnt look all beat and dinged up just same fading of the orange Hobart sticker and paint on the side. Was on a wheeled cart, and had the regulator hooked up with to the machine but just laying on the cart in the tanks place so dont thing it will come with a tank. I do have some small co2 tanks here though I could fill and use for now since thats what we run at work (100% co2) I am used to it already. Will be looking for a C25 bottle at some point though for sure if I do end up getting it.