mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

So i woul like to hear your thoots about welding downhill whit pulse. Im thinking that it is lots of better to penetrate then welding whit out pulse. We weld some of our SS welds down hill no 90 degrees but like 45. and its lap joimt to 6mm to 4mm and welds all around.. That part is like a skate board shape what is mangled to fit round shape.. Im just curoius, because never heard about pulsed affect to down hill welding, my experience says that it makes more better penetraited welds..And the pudle keeps up better, so you dont need to go so fast..
hardhatdiver
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:56 pm

No problem welding pulse down. Do a test to adjust your setting and then run it.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Alexsi,

I agree with you, I'd think a pulse-mode would improve penetration in a down-hand weld, but it would require the operator to learn a specific "advance-pause" technique to take the best advantage of it. Done wrong, it might be worse...

Steve S
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Aleksi86 wrote:So i woul like to hear your thoots about welding downhill whit pulse. Im thinking that it is lots of better to penetrate then welding whit out pulse. We weld some of our SS welds down hill no 90 degrees but like 45. and its lap joimt to 6mm to 4mm and welds all around.. That part is like a skate board shape what is mangled to fit round shape.. Im just curoius, because never heard about pulsed affect to down hill welding, my experience says that it makes more better penetraited welds..And the pudle keeps up better, so you dont need to go so fast..
I don't have pulsed mig. But, I use pulse on tig all the time. The principle is the same. Pulse gives you better control of the puddle. If you are running downhill with mig, you have to move fast. Pulse will give you a little extra time and let you slow down. If your parameters are set right, then you can get extra penetration by letting you spend that extra time in one spot-without your filler piling up or sagging. Hope this helps. I am a firm believer in pulse!