mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
bigworm40
    Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Understood, now if I could only keep this piece flat rather then Turing into
a "U"
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Keep skipping around, from one side of the job to another. And maybe bolting it down to a strong back. Or if you have more than one of these parts, tacking them back to back and weld them both in the same operation so that they counteract the shrinkage forces.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

bigworm40

So I finally picked up all the parts to convert our 252 to run .045 wire. This is a picture of the third vertical uphill weld I ran with the new wire and c25. I struggled for along time with vertical up but I think I have been improving. Would love to hear all of your thoughts. All three pictures are of the same weld.
Attachments
20141224_092552.jpg
20141224_092552.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
20141224_092538.jpg
20141224_092538.jpg (74.23 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
20141224_092515.jpg
20141224_092515.jpg (82.54 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

Good solid start. Seems as though your movements are all nice and even. With flux core wire, it is important you don't rush across the middle (you're not doing that by the way) but hold the corners for a good pause to avoid under cut.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Personally, I wouldn't weave.
Just straight up stringers.

Here's a few of my practice beads.
The first pass, and two on top, for the vertical t-joint.
And that's padding beads on the right.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
bigworm40

That looks very nice. I find if I don't weave the weld just piles up and looks horrible.

What are your settings?

Volts, wfs, and are you using .045 wire?

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

AKweldshop wrote:What are your settings?

Volts, wfs, and are you using .045 wire?
bigworm40....also include your gun angle when you answer AKweldshop's other questions.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
bigworm40

Hey guys sorry for the delay in responding i don't think i got the notice that there were more replies.

23.8 v 350 ipm .045 75/25 and my gun angle was steep in the up direction. Since changing over to the .45 and 75/25 i haven't tried running just strait up with no weave, when i return to work on Monday i will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

bigworm40 wrote:Hey guys sorry for the delay in responding i don't think i got the notice that there were more replies.

23.8 v 350 ipm .045 75/25 and my gun angle was steep in the up direction. Since changing over to the .45 and 75/25 i haven't tried running just strait up with no weave, when i return to work on Monday i will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.
I'd be more like 275-300ipm.

And you don't need much uphill push angle, not more then 5-10 deg.

That's what works for me.... :D

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
bigworm40

weldin mike 27 wrote:Good solid start. Seems as though your movements are all nice and even. With flux core wire, it is important you don't rush across the middle (you're not doing that by the way) but hold the corners for a good pause to avoid under cut.
It seemed to me the longer i stayed in the corner the more undercut i got. what kind of stick out do you look for?
bigworm40

AKweldshop wrote:Personally, I wouldn't weave.
Took your advice and ran strait up stringers, they looked great and felt great. Its such a good feeling when your running bead and you lift your helmet and chip the slag and it looks as good as it felt. I didn't have a chance to get any pictures but i will tomorrow and i'm going to try my hand at some etching also. will post pictures tomorrow. I wish solid wire was as easy uphill as fluxcore.

Good to hear about your success. But still put practice into weaving because one day you might need it.

bigworm40 wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:Personally, I wouldn't weave.
Took your advice and ran strait up stringers, they looked great and felt great. Its such a good feeling when your running bead and you lift your helmet and chip the slag and it looks as good as it felt. I didn't have a chance to get any pictures but i will tomorrow and i'm going to try my hand at some etching also. will post pictures tomorrow. I wish solid wire was as easy uphill as fluxcore.

When you got it set right, your slag should just fall off in one piece.... ;)
IMG_1398.JPG
IMG_1398.JPG (88.51 KiB) Viewed 925 times
IMG_1391.JPG
IMG_1391.JPG (78.06 KiB) Viewed 925 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Here's an excellent video from Miller on running duel-shield uphill.

Great arc shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKAJPyFOeVc

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
bigworm40

That video was great, made me realize My stick out was way to long.

So something I have noticed with using fcaw-g and the 75/25 is that it puts off a different taste or smell then my mig wire with 92/8 im used to running, so much so that i feel like its harder to breath around it. It's almost a sweet smell but then sometimes its like i hit a pocket of something bad and fumes are so bad it hurts my lungs. Anyone know anything about this? I bought one of those miller respirators that go under your helmet and the fits not that great and i do have a beard. when i do the "fit test" im good but i cold still taste smell that nastiness.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Bigworm,
I couldn't give a guess to what the nasty smell is, but the sweet smell is probably Ozone (O3) and it's not harmful in small doses. It's what you smell following a nearby lightening strike. It happens in the arc as the Atmosphere is being ionized. That's not the most scientific explanation, but you can research it on the interweb if you'd like.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Flux core wire has some real nasty crap in it.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

bigworm40 wrote:That video was great, made me realize My stick out was way to long.

So something I have noticed with using fcaw-g and the 75/25 is that it puts off a different taste or smell then my mig wire with 92/8 im used to running, so much so that i feel like its harder to breath around it. It's almost a sweet smell but then sometimes its like i hit a pocket of something bad and fumes are so bad it hurts my lungs. Anyone know anything about this? I bought one of those miller respirators that go under your helmet and the fits not that great and i do have a beard. when i do the "fit test" im good but i cold still taste smell that nastiness.
I'm a tig guy but I'll chime in here in the interests of your health. Flux core gives off some of the most toxic and carcinogenic chemical fumes known to man that hasn't been weaponized. It was developed by those interested in productivity gains without regard for the operator. In my own opinion it should be banned from use.
The minimum protection you should be using is forced air ventilation into your hood if you must use this process. If you are smelling the fumes, you are already dying. I don't think any form of facial filter is good enough against these toxins.
Others will chime in here in defense of fc, but the best advise I can give you is don't do it!
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

AKweldshop wrote:I wish I could link you a good duelshield video to watch, but there is none.... :cry:
Huh....

I'm wrong.
Miller happens to have some excellent duelshield, um, "fcaw-g", ;) videos.
Good arc shots. :)

1f,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5xslgQ6FLY
2f,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_pAMrUWSw
3f,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKAJPyFOeVc
4f,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU4RSGn3qt4

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

You can get undercut on the top plate from a bad gun angle, and by NOT holding the puddle long enough. Rushing or skipping away from the top plate will leave the undercut. If your weldments look 'arrow shaped' then you are rushing. Slow down. Try it, anyway!

First pass on a 3g.
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG (76.7 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
bigworm40

Hey guys sorry it has taken me so long to reply to all of you but i have taken it all in. Those videos are great thanks for all of your input. I ran some tests the other day and below are some of my results. in this picture the left leg was chamfered the right leg was not.

Material was all mild steel .625
Wire Lincoln ultracore gas shielded .045
gas 75/25
settings were
23/275 and 23.5 and 300
Attachments
20150107_081158.jpg
20150107_081158.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
bigworm40

So everything I have been practicing for is finally getting close. Over the last month our machinist and I have been drilling and preparing parts so once we start assembling we wont have to stop, and the time is near. For this weldment all the material will be A572 grade 50 at 1" thick. I'm using a Miller 252 with Lincoln UltraCore 71A85 Fluxcore and 75/25 gas. I know because of the size of everything I will have to do some 3g but will do everything I can to try and stay away from overhead. Its going to be a mix of tee joint, butt joint's and lap joint's. Any advice as far as chamfering? should I? If so how much, what degree? We have prints for everything but theres no weld specs!! Any way guys, you have been a great help so far thanks for everything you have taught me already.