mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
christhewelder75
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am

Hey guys so I have a weld test next week (CWB FCAW flat 1GF).
I did one similar a couple weeks ago and it didn't bend (haven't done much fcaw since July and first time on this type of test.)

At the time I left the machine the way the journeyman had it set 24.7v and about 300ipm feed 0.45 wire dual shield. On 1/2" plate here's a diagram of the set up Image
The test is the option 1 pic with the groove/fillet weld combo

I've heard from others this was a bit cold what would you guys recommend as far as settings? The miller app doesn't give me settings for 0.45 wire. Passing this test will open some doors for me so I really want to pass. Any tips are greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

Chris
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Chris,

For flat position, I'd be closer to WFO....

27.5V and 425 IPM.

Do a practice plate to dial it in, but run that sh!t HOT in flat, because you can!

I've ran that wire in 3F with the settings I recommended.

Steve S
christhewelder75
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am

Yeah that's around where I've heard the voltage should be. Figured the boss where I took the test had the machine dialed in to where their wps would be. My buddy did the same test same settings and it passed so I know I have a couple technique changes to make as well as the settings. About how fast/slow a travel speed should I use?

Thanks again steve

Chris,

Any time you walk in to a weld test, assume the machine is set wrong. Your ability to set the machine is part of your test. Have a look at the WPS, and ask for one if it's not offered. Look for stupid shit, like someone messing with the polarity of the machine.

Treat your test like the last person using the machine was a mildly retarded schizophrenic, and set every parameter yourself.

Make your handiwork the ONLY variable.

Steve S
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Chris,

Any time you walk in to a weld test, assume the machine is set wrong. Your ability to set the machine is part of your test. Have a look at the WPS, and ask for one if it's not offered. Look for stupid shit, like someone messing with the polarity of the machine.

Treat your test like the last person using the machine was a mildly retarded schizophrenic, and set every parameter yourself.

Make your handiwork the ONLY variable.

Steve S
Good Pointers listed here^^. Definitely ask for a WPS, when I gave welding tests I had more faith in the guys and gals who came in and asked for the procedure before I had a chance to offer it to them. For FCAW you will want something to clean the slag off between passes, don't assume anything, ask how they want you to handle the interpass cleaning. I had guys pick up a grinder between passes without asking and AWS D1.5 prohibits mechanical cleaning during a performance test. All of this should be spelled out on the WPS.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
Dirtynails
    Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

How did the test turn out?
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

maybe we might leave the word "retarded" to rest.............
not trying to be picking but please...
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

Craig,

You're right.

After watching Christopher Titus discuss the meaning of "retarded", I'm leaning toward taking it out of my vocabulary.

He did explain "retarded" nicely... A perfectly able, educated, talented person who's living in a box under a bridge to support his meth habit is RETARDED. A person with Downs' Syndrome, who knows love on a level you and I will never experience, is "advanced".

Steve S
angus
  • angus

if you happen to read any legal briefs you will find that the courts have allowed the use of the term retarded (for how long I'm not sure, have to check) as an accepted legal definition for a mental condition. however, in 2014, the supreme court in atkins v Virginia allowed the use of intellectual disability in place of mental retardation. however, however, if you look for a definition of intellectual disability you will find it defined as mental retardation.

it is pretty common for defense attorneys representing individuals that have been sentenced to death to use the 'retarded', defense as a mitigator to get the sentence set aside.

it is what it is...retarded. changing the word changes nothing.

it is retarded that we have to carry on with nonsense like this in the us.

found it, middle of twentieth century to replace moron, idiot, imbecile.

from wickipedia: pretty good explanation, relates to a lot of things

The terms used for this condition are subject to a process called the euphemism treadmill. This means that whatever term is chosen for this condition, it eventually becomes perceived as an insult. The terms mental retardation and mentally retarded were invented in the middle of the 20th century to replace the previous set of terms
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

glad you were able to fun with it
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil