mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
migmonkey
    Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:18 am

Hi guys,

I got two miller deltawelds 302 at work.
It does not seem to have inductance setting.
I'm limited to .045 wire since that is what the company says we use.
The engineer defaults are fine but pretty hot at 25-26 volts.
I'm trying to find something that will do 1/8 plate or slightly thinner with short circuit, so i can do some of the more delicate stuff.

I got two machines "in" my booth, I figure I'll leave one for the bulk of the welding on thicker stuff and the other machine I'd like to turn down to do short circuit. The machines are outside the booth on the second floor along with the pallets of robot wire. The wire feeder which is inside the booth. has wire speed but not voltage control or voltage indicator. I've fidled with 120-140 IPM and voltage but it always seems the power supply/ wire feeder don't like to be ran that low. It always seems to stub the work, I'm at 21 volts already and still stubbing. What am I doing wrong? :evil:

95% of the welding is in the flat position, so it's not a problem with the factory default setting.
I can get the weld to flatten out quite nice, but uphill/downhill its dog poop or tack tack tack tack.
Maybe these machines are simply not designed for finer welding. :roll:

Also is remote voltage control using the wire feeder expenisiv? The wire feeder (the model number escapes me) looks like it has options for remote voltage control, but it may be a pricey option. There are options for spot timer and other bullchit but not voltage control... The company is pretty good, and the millwright maintenance dood is looking into it, to see if voltage control at the wire feeder is economically feasible. He suspects not. I don't thing I really need voltage control inside the booth since I'll just have a "hot" and "cool" machine.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

In my opinion .045" wire is a little big for 1/8" and under welding.

For example, here are some Lincoln L-56 70s-6 wire specs - the bottom range listed is 145 amps at 19 volts.
Lincoln L-56.GIF
Lincoln L-56.GIF (61.76 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
migmonkey
    Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:18 am

Thank you for the chart.
There don't seem to be many for .045 wire.
That chart also lists 100% CO2.
I'm stuck with 25%CO2 since we are on a manifold system.

In any event, I did have a bit of a eureka moment today.
I'm quite happy since I think I am very close to getting optimum settings.
I'm running about 130 IPM with 18.9 volts on 1/8thish steel.
The machine seems to like these settings.

I'll fine tune it and then slice a weld on the saw to see what kind of penetration profile its getting. Or is that overkill?
Thanks for all the good advice.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Overkill is my favorite frame of mind :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.