mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
  • cosi
    Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:41 pm

I have been looking at pictures of other peoples welding carts and I was told ages ago that its best if the welding machine faces down to allow the feed of the wire to come out easier. I have seen other trolleys face the feed upwards. I am now thinking that depending on how high your machine ir in relation to your work area will dictate if your machine is angle up or down, or does it really make any difference??
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I think most tilt the machine up to make the display easier to read. You don't have to squat down to adjust it if you can see it reasonably well from a standing position. Same thing if it was overhead. It would be facing downward.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
  • cosi
    Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:41 pm

That's very logical :-)
I never really understood what I heard about it being angled for better wire feed. Anyway, that was an easy one.
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

Angling wire down will have the same effect as rolling Your cylinder around to mix up the gases. :)
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

mcostello wrote:Angling wire down will have the same effect as rolling Your cylinder around to mix up the gases. :)
What, you are not supposed to do that?? ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
-Jonathan
stevenopolis
    Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 am

A guy once told me I needed to shake a fire extinguisher up first or it wouldn't put a fire out.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hell, I had a helper convinced the 300-bar Helium bottles weighed less when full.

He SWORE he could tell an empty from a full one.

Steve S
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Hell, I had a helper convinced the 300-bar Helium bottles weighed less when full.

Steve S
that one got me for a second. :lol:
pmccloud
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:38 pm

stevenopolis wrote:A guy once told me I needed to shake a fire extinguisher up first or it wouldn't put a fire out.
I have heard that over time fire extinguishers with powder in them can settle in high vibration environments and not work unless they are shook up. Mainly in something like a vehicle environment.
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

pmccloud wrote:
stevenopolis wrote:A guy once told me I needed to shake a fire extinguisher up first or it wouldn't put a fire out.
I have heard that over time fire extinguishers with powder in them can settle in high vibration environments and not work unless they are shook up. Mainly in something like a vehicle environment.
When I was a safety manager, I always turned the fire extinguishers over a few times while inspecting them each month. I felt that it fluffed the dry chemical material ...now the gas charged extinguishers aren't going to care one bit if they are fluffed or not...LOL
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

cosi wrote:That's very logical :-)
I never really understood what I heard about it being angled for better wire feed. Anyway, that was an easy one.
what they may have meant was that the wire feeder needs to be angled towards the work so that you don't have to bend the whip way around and kink the liner when trying to use it. The straighter that whip stays, the happier it will be and will live a lot longer. I've seen people wind the lead all up around the machine and then wonder why they have to keep replacing the liner and sometimes the entire whip. The one that came on my Hobart Handler over 15 years ago is still on the machine and hundreds of pounds of wire have been through it in it's life.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Hell, I had a helper convinced the 300-bar Helium bottles weighed less when full.

Steve S
Oh that's just mean :D :D :lol:

....I'm going to use that one on a shop teacher I know..... :twisted:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.