mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
CJFF29
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:50 pm

OK so my question is... are the 90amp Flux welders that Harbor Freight sells for $100 a waste of money? I really don't want to spend much and I also understand you get what you pay for. I will be teaching myself to weld and have an old jeep that needs some minor repairs. I have been scavenging craigslist and haven't found anything for less than $300 which is realistically out of my price range since this is for a hobby and I have no experiance. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Update....what is the best i can buy for $300.. Lincoln Handy Mig.
I could really use some advice. reading info on these can only tell you so much, I would like to hear from you guys who have used them and have good/bad experiances with them.
Thanks
CTwelding
    Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:23 am

don't buy one of those harbor freight pieces of junk unless you only plan on using it once because that is all it will last.For 300 dollars you will probably have to look for a used machine. Good luck
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Summers almost over, people will be looking for money for Christmas presents. Rarely used tools will be popping up cheap on Craigs List keep an eye open.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
nctox
    Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm somewhat new to the welding hobby; just started 2 years ago. I bought the cheapest Northern Tool stick welder attempting to teach myself to weld. It was an AC only, two settings Hi (70 amps) and Lo(57amps). I was totally frustrated trying to just strike an arc and keep it going. :cry: After joining a couple of forums and reading more on the subject of arc welding, I realized that the learning process would go much, much easier with a better machine, AND some instruction.!!
I took a basic intro to welding course at the local community college, and bought a Hobart Stickmate. The DC capability was a real eye opener! :D The instruction and exposure provided by the basic course was worth the $60. I have not regretted the $450 spent on a good stick welder. :)
Even if you don't buy a new welder for $450, monitor Craigslist for a used buzzbox. I see them frequently for $100 or so. Usually the Lincoln AC225, sometimes the AC/DC, but they are definitely better than anything at HF. You will be glad later to have a good quality (even used) welder.
JMHO. ;)
I realize you were asking about wire welders. I just used my situation as an example. You should be able to find a good used Mig on CL, or E-bay for around the $300 you mentioned.