mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Hello All,

I sure appreciate those that make this forum possible.

A little about myself. I am a marine mechanic with my own small shop. I also plow snow in the winter. I am hopeing to be able to self teach my self to do some basic and minor welding and eventually some light fabrication. I also hope to someday find a class or two to take to help me along in ths endeavour. I did get some mig welding experience way back when I was an auto tech.

I am thinking of purchasing the lincoln 210 MP. It seems like an affordable,versatile starting place for a beginner.

The very first job, after much practice and experimenting, I need to do is to reattach the bracket for the upper front diff mount on my chevy truck. I was thinking that cleaning the area and making vertical passes up each side with the mig function. I would then also add a couple of gussets where there is the clearance.

Would the mig function be proper?

Do you all think this machine would be proper for useing on the occasional plow frame, trailer, and such? It sure would be nice to make some of these non critical repairs in house. Maybe even be good enough some day to justify better machines and more challenging work.

Any way, I am off to search these forums to hopefully find the answers.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Make sure to checkout all videos Jody just recently done just before the end of the year on MIG welding basics. These should be a good place to start learning

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig ... asics.html

forget to put link in doh :roll:
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

You can't go wrong with the Lincoln 210mp.

And if you got skill, you can weld any thing with the mig and stick side of the machine.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

My dad used to do a lot of repairs for local off-road enthusiasts who regularly tore up their trucks. I remember him welding several differential cases and brackets, etc. with 7018 and having good success. Just my .02 worth. I am sure properly done mig would work as well. This was in the '70s and my dad only had a stick welder.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

If you can clean the metal decently, mig should be just fine. If you can't clean it to well, I would probably use flux core wire. I switch to flux core if I can't get grind down to bare metal completely. Sometimes cramped locations make it difficult to grind completely. Acetone helps clean off any oils or grease. That will help out alot.