mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Samson welding
    Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:50 am

I have a pressure test coming up that requires me to perform a mig or gmaw weld I'm not so familiar with. I have to run a root in the 6g position going vertical down on 2" heavy wall pipe. I'm trying to find out the best way to tackle this one because I really need to keep my job.. What type of gap and land is most effective? Also on what angle should I hold my whip or nozzle? I'm using a miller inverter and haven't determined the proper volt and amp setting either..I guess that would depend on gap and land used. Thank you for your help here guys I think I've got my fill and cap down packed.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

There are other guys more suited to answer your question, but since this will be for a test, I would assume they will give you a WPS that will specify the settings, wire, etc. I'm assume sch 80 pipe?

@otto nobedder
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Here's some good info that might help.... ;) ;) ;)
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?48 ... -bore-pipe
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Samson,
In reality, your question is rather vague. We do not know what wire size you are running, short arc or pulse, gas, etc. I can only offer advise with what I have done and what I qualified to under ASME IV. Using the GMAW-S process here were my exact settings for the root.

Feather edge land
3/32" gap
Lincoln L-56 .35 wire
75/25 gas @25-30cfh
18.5 volts
241 IPM wire
125-130 amps
11-12 ipm travel speed

These settings were on 6" sch 80 pipe in the 6G position vertical down progression. They also are rather hot but after some testing we found we needed to be in the 125-130 amp range for adequate penetration and to wet in the toes of the weld.

Now, in exchange for helping you, please introduce yourself and tell us a little about you, your interests and your experience.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (105.16 KiB) Viewed 513 times