mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 am

I'm new to welding and have only played with a little cheapinese flux machine, but now I'm a proud new owner of a Hobart 210 MVP and hoping to hear some advice on these first welds.
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (34.21 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (37.34 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (39.63 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

My only constructive comment is to either double tap the trigger or back into the crater to fill it when you stop to make the crater the same size as the rest of your weld.
2.JPG
2.JPG (70.32 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I would say "only comment" because there is nothing wrong with those, aside from the crater that has been mentioned.

Am I stopping too early? (hence the crater)

Thanks for the advice.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

You get extra points for cleaning your steel! 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Onekeyskunk wrote:Am I stopping too early? (hence the crater)

Thanks for the advice.
No. It's in the nature of MIG welds.

When you stop, pause for half a second, then squeeze the trigger for half a second.

The pause is that brief because you want the metal to still be hot. The extra squeeze is to fill the shrinkage than always happens when you stop MIG welding.

It's called "buttoning off" a weld.

I saw NOTHING else wrong with those welds. Well done!

Steve S

exnailpounder wrote:You get extra points for cleaning your steel! 8-)
Everything seems to work better when it's clean! :D
Otto Nobedder wrote:
I saw NOTHING else wrong with those welds. Well done!

Steve S
I really appreciate this place and everyone here who so freely shares their knowledge and experience among us all.

Thank you.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Those are good welds. If you want an extra critique, I believe you are in fact stopping the actual weld short. Everyone is correct with the assessment of filling in your crater but I can see the gap at the end that you should have filled in by continuing a little further. Keep up the great work!
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:Those are good welds. If you want an extra critique, I believe you are in fact stopping the actual weld short. Everyone is correct with the assessment of filling in your crater but I can see the gap at the end that you should have filled in by continuing a little further. Keep up the great work!
-Jonathan
When welding square tube, is it easier/correct to tack the corners and then weld up to/in to the corner and then proceed to next side?
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Onekeyskunk wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:Those are good welds. If you want an extra critique, I believe you are in fact stopping the actual weld short. Everyone is correct with the assessment of filling in your crater but I can see the gap at the end that you should have filled in by continuing a little further. Keep up the great work!
-Jonathan
When welding square tube, is it easier/correct to tack the corners and then weld up to/in to the corner and then proceed to next side?
Technically, you (and I) should wrap the corners. You can tack the corners if you wish and in reality you won't always get to tack on a corner. Sometimes you need to tack a side because of being out of square or you might only be able to reach certain spots.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I prefer to tack square tube in the center of each side. Then, when welding tack-to-tack, you always wrap the corner, and end in the center of the tube.

Jonathan is quite right.

Steve S

Superiorwelding wrote:
Onekeyskunk wrote:
-Jonathan
Technically, you (and I) should wrap the corners. You can tack the corners if you wish and in reality you won't always get to tack on a corner. Sometimes you need to tack a side because of being out of square or you might only be able to reach certain spots.
-Jonathan
Thanks!

Tomorrow I will do some practicing on wrapping the corners and filling craters.

I'll post pictures.

Otto Nobedder wrote:I prefer to tack square tube in the center of each side. Then, when welding tack-to-tack, you always wrap the corner, and end in the center of the tube.

Jonathan is quite right.

Steve S
That makes sense, feed two birds at once type thing.
jwright650

Onekeyskunk wrote:
Awesome quote....I like that you are feeding two birds at once vs killing two birds with one stone :lol:
I like my lil feathered friends and enjoy watching them at the bird feeder when the ground is covered with snow. They need extra calories to burn to stay warm in the winter.
John Wright

jwright650 wrote:
Onekeyskunk wrote:
Awesome quote....I like that you are feeding two birds at once vs killing two birds with one stone :lol:
I like my lil feathered friends and enjoy watching them at the bird feeder when the ground is covered with snow. They need extra calories to burn to stay warm in the winter.
Just trying to change myself and how I think about things.
jwright650

One more vote for tacking on the flats vs corners.
My thought for saying that is this:
If by chance that you don't melt the tack on the corner when you weld the joint out, you have a place where lack of fusion or possibly a crater crack could result in a weld failure.
John Wright

jwright650 wrote:One more vote for tacking on the flats vs corners.
My thought for saying that is this:
If by chance that you don't melt the tack on the corner when you weld the joint out, you have a place where lack of fusion or possibly a crater crack could result in a weld failure.
I assume this is not melting the tack?
uploadfromtaptalk1424885980708.JPG
uploadfromtaptalk1424885980708.JPG (36.46 KiB) Viewed 2623 times

Nope, that's "tied in" about as good as you can hope for.

weldin mike 27 wrote:Nope, that's "tied in" about as good as you can hope for.
When wrapping around corners and coming back to the tack, is it better to tie in or to melt through into say a already laid weld?

Strength / Cosmetic issues?

You wont melt through a tack like that, it's quite thick. But that's quite acceptable for ordinary work, even some code stuff. As you can see, the weld has melted right into the ends of the tack with no holes. Because it's almost impossible to "burn through " a tack most people grind out, or at least grind down tacks as they are going, as the joint is welded enough to support itself.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

No problem mate
jwright650

I agree with Mike...however after placing one weld you can stop short of the tack, grind the tack thin, and also the crater where you stopped, start welding in the crater, and go backwards briefly, just as the puddle forms, and then progress in the regular travel direction, run right over the tack to complete the weld around to the next face of the tubing and rinse & repeat. You have to have your machine set very well so that it is predictable and you know exactly what you are going to get when you squeeze the trigger for this to work. "Feathering" tacks and stops/starts are good fabrication practices to get in the habit of. A few people here in the forum are pretty good and you have to really study the weld to find the stop and starts ;) Feathering helps one weld tie in to the next and can even blend the welds to look like it was one continuous weld.
John Wright

jwright650 wrote:I agree with Mike...however after placing one weld you can stop short of the tack, grind the tack thin, and also the crater where you stopped, start welding in the crater, and go backwards briefly, just as the puddle forms, and then progress in the regular travel direction, run right over the tack to complete the weld around to the next face of the tubing and rinse & repeat. You have to have your machine set very well so that it is predictable and you know exactly what you are going to get when you squeeze the trigger for this to work. "Feathering" tacks and stops/starts are good fabrication practices to get in the habit of. A few people here in the forum are pretty good and you have to really study the weld to find the stop and starts ;) Feathering helps one weld tie in to the next and can even blend the welds to look like it was one continuous weld.
I'll try getting in some practice today and post progress.

Thanks!