mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:17 pm

I am welding Ar400 in the floor of a dump truck that has a heated bed. I got a funny look from the guys when I asked if I should be using straight co2. (Oh yes forgot to mention it's my 1st week on the job)
They pointed me to a bottle of airgas gold mix and said that will be fine. I can't get it a constant bead is it the gas ,ar400 or just me
I'm not sure of the wire type because it's been used and tag gone but I know it's dual sheild.
Any help at all would be great
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

jdf_63077 wrote:I am welding Ar400 in the floor of a dump truck that has a heated bed. I got a funny look from the guys when I asked if I should be using straight co2. (Oh yes forgot to mention it's my 1st week on the job)
They pointed me to a bottle of airgas gold mix and said that will be fine. I can't get it a constant bead is it the gas ,ar400 or just me
I'm not sure of the wire type because it's been used and tag gone but I know it's dual sheild.
Any help at all would be great

Well,
First off,
I need to know your settings.
Wire dia, type, voltage, ipm, stick out, work angle, gas mix, flow rate, polarity, thickness of steel and the joint configuration.

Then I might have a remote possibility of helping you. :)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Give the guys the "funny look" right back. They're F#$king with you, and waiting for you to ask.

Ask.

They'll only respect you for figuring it out yourself if you actually figure it out for yourself. They'll respect you far more (though it won't seem that way; They'll give you a hard time) for asking how to do it right.

These guys know the process, the materials, and the machines. Swallow your pride, and ask the elders.

Steve S

I didn't put that info on there because I wanted to make sure what they were
It was 7100 ultra now it's 7100LC .o45
I was running 19.0 volts at around 230-240 ipm hard to be real accurate it's an old feeder
I'm flowing airgas gold blend doesn't really say % at about 40
It's 3/16 AR 400 plate the joint is flat floor with 45° angle up to to the wall with no bevel cut. It's makes a one-sided V
little bit of a slope front to back
It's inside a building so no noticeable wind
That's all I got
P.s.
There's a lot of difference between ultra and LC settings those were my ultra I haven't try dialing the LC wire yet ran out of time
Thanks a bunch for even reading it

New settings are 32.5 volts at 270 ipm with the 7100LC wire

jdf_63077 wrote:New settings are 32.5 volts at 270 ipm with the 7100LC wire
Then, scratch what I said... It sounds like you figured it out for yourself, and that should earn you some respect in your new job.

Steve S

Sorry I meant 23.5 volts I just kept playing with it until it sounded like bacon frying and the slag came off easy
Not sure if luck or knowledge got me through this one

jdf_63077 wrote:.../Not sure if luck or knowledge got me through this one
Robert Burns, the Scottish poet, said, "With luck, Muck'll do for brains."

I'll take luck when I get it.

Steve S

As my old boss always said
"2 heads are better than 1 even if one is a head of cabbage"
. I wrote down the settings in my notebook for the next time or new hire that asks
Thanks for hanging in there
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

jdf_63077 wrote:Sorry I meant 23.5 volts I just kept playing with it until it sounded like bacon frying and the slag came off easy
I saw you voltage and thought there is no way. Glad you worked things out on your own!
-Jonathan

It just shows them that I can do more than close my eyes and pull a trigger
    Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 pm

jdf_63077 wrote:It just shows them that I can do more than close my eyes and pull a trigger

See, there's your problem. "Here" most guys use a helmet so you can actually see what you are doing... :lol: :roll: :lol:

I have one but it's pretty and I hate to get it dirty [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

DennisZ wrote:
jdf_63077 wrote:It just shows them that I can do more than close my eyes and pull a trigger

See, there's your problem. "Here" most guys use a helmet so you can actually see what you are doing... :lol: :roll: :lol:
Hey Wait a Minute....I'm supposed to be wearing a helmet? Since when? Is this new technology? ;)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
DennisZ wrote:

Hey Wait a Minute....I'm supposed to be wearing a helmet? Since when? Is this new technology? ;)

You could do like our contractor. Welding anchors to be poured in concrete to support steel columns. Welded with sunglasses...

Superiorwelding wrote:
jdf_63077 wrote:Sorry I meant 23.5 volts I just kept playing with it until it sounded like bacon frying and the slag came off easy
I saw you voltage and thought there is no way. Glad you worked things out on your own!
-Jonathan
Hell, I thought he was spray-arcing it. We've got a Lincoln CV305 at work that will spray-arc at those settings with 75/25 gas!

23.5V makes more sense.

Steve S
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

exnailpounder wrote: Hey Wait a Minute....I'm supposed to be wearing a helmet? Since when? Is this new technology? ;)
Why would you think that?
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

GreinTime wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: Hey Wait a Minute....I'm supposed to be wearing a helmet? Since when? Is this new technology? ;)
Why would you think that?
I dunno...I keep reading about welding helmets and can't figure out what all the fuss is about. Just squint real tight..you'll be fine :D ..........sarcasm off...for those who don't get it... 8-) ...Hey Grein...your argon is running!!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Man I'm glad someone got my sarcasm for once this weekend lol, I was feeling unfunny for sure!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mister.... I think your argon is running. Better go catch it.