mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
EndSupremacy
    Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:44 am

I have an Everlast MTS200 multi process welder. I've only used it a handful of times, and so far so good. The problem that I'm having is that I can't figure out how to set the welder to do short circuit mig. I'm guessing this machine doesn't have the ability to do short circuit. Still, just in case, I'm asking on here to see if anyone knows more about this machine and what it can do.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

EndSupremacy,
Welcome to the forum! Tell us a little about yourself, your experience and your hobbies when you have time. As far as your machine, while I have no experience with your particular model all machines can short circuit transfer, as far as I know. Short circuit is the bottom of the ladder so to speak with globular and spray transfer following. The best help we can offer will come with a little more information. Are you a beginner and not yet confident with setting the machine or are you just having trouble finding that sweet spot? What size wire, gas and settings are you using right now as well as a pic or two would be helpful. For your knowledge, short circuit can be as low as 15V to around 22V give or take both directions, just as a guideline. Beyond 22-24 volts you get briefly into globular and then spray.
-Jonathan
EndSupremacy

Thanks Jonathan. I'm not a new welder, however, this is my first welder. Most of the time in previous jobs, the machines were already set. Just turn them on. Sometimes I would have to change the settings, but being that those were machines I use everyday, I got used to tweaking them. I don't know the exact thickness of the metal I'm welding now, since it's just some scrap metal I took from an old rusted up BBQ that I found in the back yard. All I know is it's pretty thin stuff. I tried tweaking the settings and I keep burning through. I went as low as you can go (15V). I tried various wfs, but either it was too slow for a good arc, or just right, but still burning through, if that makes sense to anyone. Well, I'm at work right now. As soon as I can get home and take some pictures, I'll upload them here.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

EndSupremacy wrote:Thanks Jonathan. I'm not a new welder, however, this is my first welder. Most of the time in previous jobs, the machines were already set. Just turn them on. Sometimes I would have to change the settings, but being that those were machines I use everyday, I got used to tweaking them. I don't know the exact thickness of the metal I'm welding now, since it's just some scrap metal I took from an old rusted up BBQ that I found in the back yard. All I know is it's pretty thin stuff. I tried tweaking the settings and I keep burning through. I went as low as you can go (15V). I tried various wfs, but either it was too slow for a good arc, or just right, but still burning through, if that makes sense to anyone. Well, I'm at work right now. As soon as I can get home and take some pictures, I'll upload them here.
What gas are you using? At 15 volts I guarantee you are in short circuit MIG. Spray transfer requires 25 volts and about 200 amps and up. Globular is like a transition zone at about 150 amps or so and over 20 volts
EndSupremacy

soutthpaw wrote:What gas are you using?
I'm running 75/25 ar/co2. Sorry I wasn't able to get any pictures posted yet. I went home tired and called it a night. I'll try to get some tonight. The picture I attached here is one I took a week ago. Not the best picture, but I'll take some more.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 1393 times

What size wire are you running? Assuming you are using .035 your wire speed of 400 is way to high for the voltage shown. Try the wire speed in the 220-250 range and adjust from there.
-Jonathan
EndSupremacy

Superiorwelding wrote:What size wire are you running? Assuming you are using .035 your wire speed of 400 is way to high for the voltage shown. Try the wire speed in the 220-250 range and adjust from there.
-Jonathan
Yes, I am running .035 wire. That's not the settings I was using though. That's just a picture I took last week after turning on the welder. It was set like that.

Have you been able to play with your machine? Can you tell us the settings you were using and the settings you might be using now?
-Jonathan
EndSupremacy

Some scrap steel from old rusty BBQ
Some scrap steel from old rusty BBQ
image.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
2/32" thickness
2/32" thickness
image.jpg (33.29 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
One of the settings I used
One of the settings I used
image.jpg (53.56 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Sorry guys, its been a rough couple of days at work getting extra hours. Anyway, I measured the thickness of the steel, and it's 2/32". That is some very thin stuff. I was messing around with the settings, and tried 15V-15.6V. The wfs was around 200-280 ipm. Here are some pictures. Don't mind the edges on the cut. That's a piece I haven't gotten to yet.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Pictures off your actual welds would help
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

If your welding steel from 16ga to 3/16", try 19.5v 225ipm
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
EndSupremacy

soutthpaw wrote:Pictures off your actual welds would help
There isn't any weld, because it just burns right through. So what I ended up doing was spot welding in all the burn through. Then I took a grinder to it and smooth it all out. It's ready to weld, just haven't gotten to it yet since I been busy.

AKWeldshop, thanks for the suggesting. I'll try it out. Probably during the weekend.
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

If you are welding at your job too why dont take some thicker scarp plate and start adjusting there. then you can keep you arc on and tweek it there and not worry burn trought. So get better practise material and not that rusty tube. Every that size machine will short sircuit for sure :D