mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

After doing several larger welding projects on my jeeps, I'm finding that the 10' mig gun is JUST slightly to short to comfortably reach the other side of the jeep. I've put up with it for a while now, but I'm starting to get frustrated by it. Particularly when I was welding the roll cage, even an extra foot or two would make a big difference, and keep me from moving my welding cart back and forth from each side of the jeep.

I've always used a 10' gun, would there be any reason NOT to run a 15' gun? I think the extra 5' would be a huge benefit for me, I would be able to leave my welding cart on one side of the jeep, and not have to move it nearly as often, and maybe not even have to move it at all. I've never had a problem with a 10' ground cable, so I'd keep that the same.

I've got a Lincoln 180 Dual. I'm running 220 power on a 30amp breaker (I think it's 30 amp, I'd need to double check that), and pretty much always run a 10lb spool of .030 wire. Any reason not to switch to the longer 15' gun?

Thanks!
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Should work fine. Are both the top and bottom drive roller powered on that machine? Or is top just a freewheeling idler bearing?
danielbuck

soutthpaw wrote:Should work fine. Are both the top and bottom drive roller powered on that machine? Or is top just a freewheeling idler bearing?
The bottom is the only one that is driven directly by power, I think. If I remember correctly, there is a sprocket on the top roller, so I assume that probably transfers the power from the lower wheel to the upper wheel so that they both spin with power?

All the components are metal. No plastic
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

With the geared top roller, you should be golden with a 15' gun. If you keep everything clean (use wiper pads), you can run a 25' gun on that on .035 and above.

Steve S
danielbuck

I've not put any wiper pads on the wires, that might not be a bad idea. Is it as simple as loosly clamping on some foam or cloth? Does the foam have to have some sort of solution on it, or just dry? (Dry I imagine would be better?)

I think I've seen some photos of that type of setup, I'll search around. Thanks for the tip :-) And I'll double check that the upper roller is geared, but I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a sprocket on it.

Your local welding supply should stock wiper pads, and the other stuff I'm. They're just clean felt with a metal clip for tension, and they're cheap.

For best results, use wiper pads and lube pads together (Lube pad closest to your drive rollers, wipers closer to the wire roll).

Here's the wiper pads:

http://www.amazon.com/Weld-Aid-Lube-Mat ... 59REND1VKM

Here's the lube pads:

http://www.amazon.com/Weld-Aid-Lube-Mat ... B008RA58UC

Here's extra lube, enough to last a lifetime:

http://www.amazon.com/Weld-Aid-Lube-Mat ... 5NXMA7J5Y6

Steve S
danielbuck

Otto Nobedder wrote:Your local welding supply should stock wiper pads, and the other stuff I'm. They're just clean felt with a metal clip for tension, and they're cheap.

For best results, use wiper pads and lube pads together (Lube pad closest to your drive rollers, wipers closer to the wire roll).

Here's the wiper pads:

http://www.amazon.com/Weld-Aid-Lube-Mat ... 59REND1VKM

Here's the lube pads:

http://www.amazon.com/Weld-Aid-Lube-Mat ... B008RA58UC

Here's extra lube, enough to last a lifetime:

http://www.amazon.com/Weld-Aid-Lube-Mat ... 5NXMA7J5Y6

Steve S
Yea, those are what I saw photos of, sweet! How often do you re-lube the pad with the fluid on it? And how often do you change the pads? once every 10lb spool?

Naw... A wiper pad is good for an easy fifty spools, if your shop is clean. (Install it the same direction each time...)

Add a few drops of lube every month.

"Lifetime Supply".

Steve S
danielbuck

Otto Nobedder wrote:Naw... A wiper pad is good for an easy fifty spools, if your shop is clean. (Install it the same direction each time...)

Add a few drops of lube every month.

"Lifetime Supply".

Steve S

Wow, awesome :-) My garage isn't exactly clean, but I try to do all my grinding and cutting outside in the driveway.
BWR
  • BWR
    Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:19 pm

The other guys are exactly right the wipers will make a world of difference and save on your liner from getting clogged up. I went from a 15' to 20' on my millermatic and I have noticed the straighter you keep the cable without sharp bends in it the better off you will be, never noticed it that much with the shorter mig gun.
danielbuck

BWR wrote:The other guys are exactly right the wipers will make a world of difference and save on your liner from getting clogged up. I went from a 15' to 20' on my millermatic and I have noticed the straighter you keep the cable without sharp bends in it the better off you will be, never noticed it that much with the shorter mig gun.
I generally try not to put a sharp bend on the cable, and when I wrap it up after I'm done, I try to keep it a loose wrap. Fortunately my welding cart is decently wide, so it's easy to wrap it in large loops.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I agree that the 15' gun will be fine. I run a 25' gun on my Millermatic 252 and it only has one drive roll set. As long as I keep the lead straight it works just fine.

I do want to show the other side of those wire cleaners. This is more for others reading this and not necessarily apply to you. There are wires that you do not want to use wipers on. Lincoln L-59 that we use in the shop comes pre lubed from the factory. While Lincoln was in one day they noticed I had a wipers on their wire and they explained why that was bad. I have noticed the wire will run better from the package than it did running wipers.

For regular S-6 wires and open spools it is not a bad idea though.
-Jonathan
danielbuck

I got the 15' gun (flex neck!) and the wiper pads and oil on there. Before I put the pads on, I cleaned out the drive rollers and guides. :o They were pretty dirty, the first one had a nice caked on layer on the inside of the drive roller that I had to scratch out. I can see where the pads will come in handy, it'll keep things cleaner.

The extra 5' will definitely be good. I can weld on stuff in the front of the driveway without moving my welding cart. Now that I think about it, maybe I should get a ground cable that is longer too. That would be more convenient.