mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
drross
    Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Does flux core wire have to be protected from humidity like rods?
Everlast PowerMTS 200 multi-process 200A Mig/lift Tig, 175A stick, Dual voltage DC only

Hi drross,

Welcome to our little asylum.

There may be some alloys/fluxes that require special treatment and storage, but I leave the same roll of NR-211 on my 115 VAC Lincoln SP 135+ until it's used up. I've never noticed any difference in the welding characteristics of the wire over time. I'm in North Central Texas where it gets pretty humid in the summer.

That said, I will certainly defer to the more knowledgeable and experienced members of the forum for information that's less anecdotal and more technical.

ldb
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
drross
    Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Yeah it also gets a bit sticky down here in Key West, FL. We have been running the AC since early March mostly to keep the humidity down. Thanks for the response.
Everlast PowerMTS 200 multi-process 200A Mig/lift Tig, 175A stick, Dual voltage DC only
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

drross wrote:Yeah it also gets a bit sticky down here in Key West, FL. We have been running the AC since early March mostly to keep the humidity down. Thanks for the response.
I don't know jack about flux core but I do love Key West. Got drunk and passed out at Smathers beach...wow was that a sunburn!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You will not affect the flux in a cored wire with humidity unless it takes you a year to use a spool. You should only need enough humidity control to keep the surface of the sire from showing rust.

If you go a few weeks between uses, it never hurts to run out a foot or two of wire and cut it off, just to avoid moisture absorption in the weld start, as a cored wire that didn't ball tight on the last stop may allow moisture to be wicked in to the flux.

Steve S

Great tip, Steve. I hadn't thought of doing that. Thanks.

ldb
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch