mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
StephenPerkins
    Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:31 am

I have a weld test in the morning 10 gauge stainless steel butt joint with SS mig. Never done this before I need to know parameters and technique
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Here, this might help?
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/ca ... ulator.php

But I have to ask, a test without experience? How did that happen?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:...I have to ask, a test without experience? How did that happen?
Very simple. When you need a job, you apply everywhere you have a chance. When you get an interview and a test, you give it your best shot, even if it's a long shot.

You were young, once, and needed work, right? Didn't have the skills and experience to be choosy?

The O.P. either has enough skill for them to give him chance, or not, and he's asking for tips in the right forum.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Steve - yes to all questions :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
StephenPerkins
    Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:31 am

That wasn't even the test I got their couldn't even find the guy I was to report to. Then the test was mig welding on galvanized steel. About 10 ga maybe 12. I did good enough I guess still something I've never done it sucks but I told myself I would stick with it. Hopefully I can find something else.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Stephen,

I hope you can find a better job, too, and quick! Showing up to find you've been LIED TO about the weld test would make me walk immediately, while LOUDLY cussing the folks who lied to get me there, so everyone in the shop could hear. I can afford to do that, though.

Wear a respirator with a P100 mask, if they're going to have you MIG galvanized. I suspect this job is going to suck. Hard.

Good luck.

Steve S
Kierdo7
    Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi I have been welding some 2inch 1.6mm thick stainless pipe and am needing help I got the root through ok although the pipe alignment could have been better however after doing the cap it looked like I had some secondary penetration on the root from this, any way I can prevent this?