mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
culveres
    Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm new to welding. Took a short course at the CC, mostly stick. Got an old Farm Hand 125 running FC on 1/8" mild steel.
I have trouble keeping up with the puddle and seeing my intended weld line.
I'm wearing my glasses plus a 2.25 lens in the helmet. I try to work in good day light and or add a lamp. Got helmet set on 9.
Polarity is right, good ground right on the work, clean metal, flat bench work placement.
Is there a video that delineates the puddle, molten slag, and the other stuff in the view through the helmet? Sometimes it is like the puddle shrinks or disappears.
I occasionally get a decent bead but not very often. Sizzle mostly sounds right. I've melted over a pound of 0.030 wire.
Besides more seat time does anyone have a suggesstion?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Turn your helmet up to 10 or 11.

Do you need the cheater in the helmet?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Consider a different lens color. This may mean going to a fixed lens, or a higher-quality auto-lens.

The color difference between the puddle and the slag immediately behind is subtle.

With practice, you won't need the color difference, as you'll be watching the "wetting out" beside and immediately behind the arc, and not what's going on behind the puddle.

Steve S