mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Kierdo7
    Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Today I was welding a 60 mm 1.6 thick stainless pipe which I don't have much experience with the fitting was a bit misshaped so the alignment wasn't great however I got my root through fusing both edges but once I capped the pipe it looked like I had some secondary penetration was wondering why this happened any ideas? Was thinking it may have been due to the poor alignment to start?
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

Kierdo7 wrote:Today I was welding a 60 mm 1.6 thick stainless pipe which I don't have much experience with the fitting was a bit misshaped so the alignment wasn't great however I got my root through fusing both edges but once I capped the pipe it looked like I had some secondary penetration was wondering why this happened any ideas? Was thinking it may have been due to the poor alignment to start?

Hi if you migged this 1.6mm pipe you can do it by one pass. did you purge by argon that pipe? I would tig it one pass no gap clean metal. That secondary penetration i would guess that you got that pipe too hot when making cap and you burn truh that root , and it makes root looking worse. But 1,6mm is so thin that it will melt very easy.