mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
dbales
    Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:02 am

I have a Harbor Freight 115v mig that only runs flux core wire. Currently I'm still practicing with it and getting better at mig. I was wondering since I know this machine isn't the best and isn't gonna produce the best welds out there can what are some of the better flux core wire brands?
BugUgly
    Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:54 pm

I was in the same situation. I've been practicing with a Harbor Freight flux-core set-up over the past few weekends. The first attempts were abysmal, but rapidly improved, but I got a lot of spatter and popping. I thought I needed better wire, too. Then I heeded MIG Tip #1 (many thanks to Jody) and bought the biggest ground clamp that Lowe's had for $10 (500A, beefy spring, copper contacts). When I swapped clamps, I noticed the old one had actually arced and gotten so hot the coppery finish had toasted. (There's only enough copper in it to give it color, no conduction benefit.) My welds instantly started looking MUCH better, with better penetration on thick stuff, and now I can fillet thin bits down to 1/16" without burning through. So for a complete newb, I'm pretty proud of the things I've been fixing.

Would it be worth the effort to solder the ground cable to the contact plate or braid? I just looped it under the bolt and mashed it down tight.
mllud
    Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:59 pm

As to the subject of soldering the cable.
I have a lenco panelspotter/spotwelder. I was having trouble with inconsistant welds.I soldered the lugs on both ends of both cables and it fixed the problem. I used plenty of paste flux because the cables were dark brown with oxydation.
Its hard to get enough heat without curling the edge of the insulation a little. I wrapped th good with electrical tape. It is covered by the handle anyway. The heats effect on the insulation is probably the only drawback
Mike
hammerwelds
    Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 pm

i bought a lincoln 100hd a couple years back. it was brand new in the box and i almost passed because it was only flux core. at the time it was a $500 welder, and i got it and a nib jigsaw for $125. at the time i figured i was going to sell the welder and keep the saw. i have to say that that is the best purchase i ever made! i took it home and started messing with it. the thing welds nice as hell. the welds almost look like 7018 stick, which is what i mostly weld and kick ass at. i already had a millermatic mig welder so i really didnt think i needed it. but after welding with it and practicing, it welds nice. plus i have made more money with it then most of my other equipment almost. its nice cuz its only 115v. so i can take it where ever and weld almost anything. just too bad they dont make fluxcore almuminum. as far as wire i use Lincoln innershield NR 211 MP. it a .030 E71T11 wire. it nuns nice. on thicker material i'll turn the heat all the way up to setting D. then put the wire speed to 2 or 2.5 on the machine. i'm sure its less than 100ipm, but i've never measured it so i could be way off. just remember that fluxcore runs ALOT slower wirespeed than mig does. but i have welded anything from 20gage, up to 1" thick. just use alot of passes...lol... hope this helps
Ken
  • Ken
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I got ya all beat, mines an old Century 70/90 flux core, it has the gas hookups, but here at home I don't use it enough for a nos tank. mines handles .035-.045, and it will handle up to 3/16" thick on one pass. I found that .030 will work, but doesn't work as good at 35 does, I'd love to find a roll of .045 flux to try it though.