mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
yamahablue
    Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:08 pm

I am completely new to all processes of welding but picked up a mig and I'm hoping to be able to tackle some projects. I will be using mostly 3/16" steel plate but up to 1/4" welding it to aprox.1/8" steel. It will be some lap joints and some filet (?).

My question is what wire size would be best for this and some theory behind why would be great. I should also add that on some of this project there will be gaps that I'm hoping to fill.

The unit is a miller 211 and it came with a small spool of hobart .030 solid wire, looks to be made in china.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd go with .030.

This is great wire at a great price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-10-lb-Rolls-E ... 20fa425dfe

I've burned a lot of it.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yamahablue,

.030 is fine for the thicknesses you list.

If your wire feeder has trouble pushing it, .035 is more commonly available and stiffer. It, too, works with the sizes you want to weld.

Check the availability of the sizes at your local supply. I would suggest .035, but that's a personal preference.

Steve S

A lot of what we do is personal preference, as Steve said. I too, prefer 0.035" wire because of the increased metal deposition. It's only about 16% more metal, but if you're filling gaps you'll welcome the help.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

You can pick up 10 lb rolls of solid at Horrible Freight on sale sometimes for 12 bucks. Its good enough for practice and non critical repairs but I use namebrand wire for the serious stuff. I use 030 for most thingsin my 252.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.