mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
JamesWeld
    Sat May 16, 2015 12:21 pm

So I went big and purchased a used (less than an hour on it) 350P with XR-A gun to weld AL.
It welds steel like a dream.
But after a try on AL my weld come out looking like the gas is off (its not) all black and ugly.
(I dont see how to attach a file??)

Details are:
5356 .035
pulse
tried lots of different settings
6061 .25" plate cleaned with SS wheel.
bled the line good

Any Idea why?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome.

What is your gas flow? I assume your using 100% argon?
What is your stickout and gun angle?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

James,
First off, welcome to the forum.

Since we don't know your experience level I'll ask you a few elementary questions. What gas, straight Argon? (required for Alum) Polarity correct for a spoolgun? Is the spoolgun fully seated into the machine so as not to restrict gas flow to the gun? (the O-rings will cover the ports if not) What flow rate do you have to the gun. Also some machine settings will help.

You can insert an image using the Img radio button on the top. There's a section in the index with specific instructions and tips for adding images you can check out.

There are others here with way more experience than me with your equipment and they'll find the root of your problem given some time.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
JamesWeld

Good day everyone and thanks for the nice reception..
Some answers:

100% argon, I have tried 10-50 CFH settings.
I have insured gun is inserted correctly, I can hear gas coming out of stinger.
I have tried many different settings but basically using stock miller settings of 25 for sharparc and 50 for arc length.
this is the XR Alumapro Miller gun.
chart says 406 FPM wire speed but that just burns right through .25 material immediatlry around 200 is best (still terrible)
stickout is ~.125" various gun angles (any suggestion here?)

here is my mess .pixell.com/page1.php

BTW I could not find instructions on using [img] feature, do you have link?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

JamesWeld wrote:
stickout is ~.125"

.125 = 1/8".....

One eighth of an inch.

Are referring to how far the tip is sticking out of the nozzle, or how far your holding the tip off the work while welding?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

James,
If you go to the board index under how to use the forum you'll find a couple of locked topic on how to add pictures, videos and attachments.

I think this is the easiest one to use. http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =25&t=3755

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
JamesWeld

Here is what my gun looks like, tip is .125" below rim of nozzle.
I would say I am holding nozzle at ~45 degrees and tip is ~.5" from work..

http://www.pixell.com/page2.php

http://www.pixell.com/page1.php
Last edited by JamesWeld on Sat May 16, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JamesWeld

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Not sure if this is related, but did you replace the liner when you put the Al spool in? The original liner used for steel may be contaminating the aluminum wire.

(And welcome to the forum.)
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VevW1M2EUTk

There's a Miller Video Here that might help. It describes setting up and operating the machine for Aluminum
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
hardhatdiver
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Are you sure that the scrap is not anodized? I know you say you used a s/s wire wheel but try a flap disc.

Good thought, but it looked like he had been hard at it in some parts with a sanding/grinding disk already, this should have got under the anodizing, if any.

Synergic machines may not always be your best friend. Do you feel like you're 'getting stuck into' the base metal at the start of the weld?

It could be that volts/amps are too low. Try increasing the settings for much thicker plate (say double), and see what the difference is. No Guarantees, but this might take you further into (or further out of) the ball park. At least it might allow you to see benefit/dis-benefit - if any.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I will try to comment further later but one thing I see is your gun angle. You said you are 45 degree to your work piece, you need to be as close to straight on it as possible. GMAW Alum is very sensitive to gun angle and contact to work distance.
-Jonathan
JamesWeld

Thanks Track ranger, I did watch the video previously and read the manual!
The gun I am using is the XR-Alumapro which is made for AL so I doubt it has a steel liner..

https://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/M1-71.pdf

the problem is no filler metal flow and a black ugly weld as here: Image
JamesWeld

Thanks all for comments,
I know it it not anodized because I purchased it and hit it with SS wire wheel.
I have run the voltage/wire speed thus amerage up and down, if I double it pushes the rod through work immediatly.
I have Tig welded on this same stock with great success with my other rig so I know stock is good.
I have tried another 1/8" piece with same results.

I will try different gun angles and distances. (its going to be pretty sad if I can only do this at 90 degrees as I like to see what I am welding :-)
JamesWeld

I will also try a new flap disk
JamesWeld

whats interesting is as I search on you tube and millers site for examples of what a MIG/AL weld should look like, I can find any, lots of instruction, but no examples.
Anybody have any so I know what to expect?

Jonathan's comment about gun angle is correct. It will have to be much closer to 90 degrees to work. That's part of the deal with aluminum MIG. You'll be able to see what you weld, it's just a matter of you adjusting your viewing angle.

Sorry, to clarify, I didn't mean a steel liner, I meant a liner that has been used for steel wire. You mentioned "It welds steel like a dream." So I wondered is the current liner contaminated from steel wire use? I use a special teflon liner designed specifically for aluminum.
tuangianglion
    Sat May 16, 2015 4:33 pm

JamesWeld wrote:So I went big and purchased a used (less than an hour on it) 350P with XR-A gun to weld AL.
It welds steel like a dream.
But after a try on AL my weld come out looking like the gas is off (its not) all black and ugly.
(I dont see how to attach a file??)

Details are:
5356 .035
pulse
tried lots of different settings
6061 .25" plate cleaned with SS wheel.
bled the line good

Any Idea why?
very cool ...you can read it
http://www.weldtec.com.vn/dao-tao/cach- ... -dien.html

tuangianglion:

Thanks for the reply, welcome to the forum. Most users would not be able to directly understand. Your input is appreciated though.

Cảm ơn bạn đã trả lời, chào mừng đến với diễn đàn. Hầu hết người dùng sẽ không thể hiểu trực tiếp. Đầu vào của bạn được đánh giá cao mặc dù

Trev
JamesWeld

Well its like this..
I have 2 gas bottles next to each other, one 100% and one 75/25, labels are not easily visible.
I put the last fill receipt on my bottles in case they go out of date and those are visible and I was going off that..

So I had wrong gas.. my fault :shock:

Thanks everyone for all the help and playing the game with out all the cards in the deck, all good answers!
This is a great site and I will be back!

Great that you got it sorted James, and provided information on how it was resolved. Others can get value from the feedback.
Thanks
Trevor
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

At Least it was a easy fix :) Now go weld some Aluminum with that new 350...
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225