mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
pez
  • pez
    Sat May 09, 2015 3:31 am

I've been inspired by the video where Jody maps out the different wire speed settings, as my old transmig has no chart/etc and I just play with it until it works. Next step was to measure the voltages on all the taps.

I know about the higher ocv, so was going to measure min voltage while throwing an arc. I'm just wondering if you get spikes, etc on old transformer machines that might destroy my multimeter? Fluke fuses are crazy expensive!!
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

pez wrote:I've been inspired by the video where Jody maps out the different wire speed settings, as my old transmig has no chart/etc and I just play with it until it works. Next step was to measure the voltages on all the taps.

I know about the higher ocv, so was going to measure min voltage while throwing an arc. I'm just wondering if you get spikes, etc on old transformer machines that might destroy my multimeter? Fluke fuses are crazy expensive!!
Pez, it's a good point that you raise.

In my experience, you cannot beat an analog multimeter for this type of work. We have both, but digital meters, and the speed of their sampling rates, makes it virtually impossible to measure highly fluctuating voltages accurately.

However, if you are measuring the secondary voltage, you are definitely not likely to get spikes that will upset the circuit protection of a DMM so as to blow a fuse.

Do make sure though that you are on a Volt reading setting (NOT AMPS - I repeat NOT AMPS). You should be OK, but expect it to be difficulty to find a stable voltage reading while actually welding.

Best
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I've measured mig welding voltage before - I don't have an expensive meter, but the reading was stable enough to use.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.