mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I'm going to weld some containers together for a friend. What wire would you suggest for the application. I have several wire feeds capable of running pretty much anything and a Ranger 9 for power. Innershield is my weapon of choice but which one?
TIA,
John
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I welded some lock hoods and different lock assemblies on shipping containers several years ago that where used for commercial fireworks storage 1.3 explosives. I used MIG with ER70S-6
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
John Chamorro

dirtmidget33 wrote:I welded some lock hoods and different lock assemblies on shipping containers several years ago that where used for commercial fireworks storage 1.3 explosives. I used MIG with ER70S-6

I'm welding 6 of them together for a house. MIG won't be practical.
dirtmidget33

I also welded a couple of hoods on with flux core .035 NR211-MP using a Lincoln weld pak 100, :lol: containers where in woods and company only had small generator available and needed it done for ATF inspection in a hurry. I was there picking stuff up and they wanted it done. I wouldn't suggest it with the 110 welder. The hoods where a box made of 1/4 steel that surrounds pad lock, bottom of it is open to access lock. Its an ATF thing :roll: heavy hood welded to thin sheet on the door meets there code. It is there to make it harder to cut lock. Some of those storage areas the ATF approves is a joke :roll:

Yeah gas prices might get a little high with 6 of them :lol: but it is possible.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
John Chamorro

I was thinking 211,,,, Is it compatible with the Core-10? (I'm guessing they are core-10) I don't really have a way to do any destructive testing. With the hundreds of feet of welding, I don't want any issues popping up.
dirtmidget33

hmmm hard to find a good answer I believe there is better stuff for it then 211 though. I was adding stuff on to containers and since yours will be structural for a house suggest not using what I used without further research. Hobart has a pretty decent article I posted link. Sure we have a bridge builder or someone that uses A588 steel that will chime in.

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/news/181/ ... e-Job.html

Looks like Hobart suggests E70C-6M and E71T-1/9 C/M

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/su ... etail.aspx
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

John Chamorro wrote:I was thinking 211,,,, Is it compatible with the Core-10? (I'm guessing they are core-10) I don't really have a way to do any destructive testing. With the hundreds of feet of welding, I don't want any issues popping up.
211 will work fine on CorTen. Is it the best option? I'm not sure... but if the welds will be painted and protected, I don't see how you can go wrong.

Steve S
John Chamorro

The container house is going to be a 2 story partially cantilevered upper floor. There will be hundreds of feet of weld. The only reservations I have with the process is that there will be near 200 feet of overhead bevel weld. I'm hoping the 211 will not 'fall out' of the bevel. I'm thinking that maybe .030 and a hot fast weld will help with that. I will be doing most of the welding but the owner will do the down hand stuff. 211 down hand even for a novice welder is pretty easy to run. I DO NOT want to stick weld this thing.
dirtmidget33

One thing I wonder about these houses is how hard are they to cool off. I am sure they build a double wall are something and insulate it but still just seems like it would be an oven. I know the explosive storage ones would some times get 120 to 135 degrees in the midwest. Guys down south said theirs would get even hotter.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

For bulk distance of welding, go for something like 0.045" diam or bigger. .030 is not feasible for bulk deposition of metal.
John Chamorro

weldin mike 27 wrote:For bulk distance of welding, go for something like 0.045" diam or bigger. .030 is not feasible for bulk deposition of metal.
Agree,,,, but, Welding thin sections of the container with the 045 could be an issue. I guess time will tell.

There won't be anything under 1/8 will there?
John Chamorro

weldin mike 27 wrote:There won't be anything under 1/8 will there?
No but there may be a fair amount of welding the thin butt end of the sides to 1/4 angle at a T joint for the windows and the doors. Maybe for that condition I will set the LN 7 up for gas instead of inner shield and run 035 hard wire. I'm just trying to hand off as much as possible to the owner to do himself. There's a butt load of structural I'll need to do. I don't need a full time field welding job. it's getting too hot and I'm too cranky.

Fair enough. The main point I'm trying to get at is that 0.045 can be turned down, but .035 will struggle a little more trying to turn it up.
John Chamorro

weldin mike 27 wrote:Fair enough. The main point I'm trying to get at is that 0.045 can be turned down, but .035 will struggle a little more trying to turn it up.
Sometimes the obvious escapes me. I hadn't looked at it that way. Thanks for the knock on the head.

No problem mate. Watch the paint on those things, I'm sure it will be nasty.
John Chamorro

weldin mike 27 wrote:No problem mate. Watch the paint on those things, I'm sure it will be nasty.
I'll set the owner off well ahead with sandblaster and grinder. For this to run smoothly and quickly, I'm cutting no corners.PLUS<<< I'm not breathing any fumes I don't absolutely have to.

Good to hear.
hurtsme2
    Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:03 pm

I have been playing building with Type 1A GP and HC Series Containers for some time I have reached out a few time to this company for answers as well as design help.
http://www.containerhome.info/