mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Check the gun.. Sounds to me like it's dirty. Change the tip and put a fresh one on it. Over time they get worn out (egg shaped inside) and don't make good contact with the wire. The result is exactly what you're describing.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
J_68
    Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:28 pm

this might sound dumb but what does poor contact with the tip of the gun and the wire have to do with anything ??
i understand/know about the dirty part and that they do get worn out.
the volt readings that i supplied in previous post are taken both from the wheel area and from the gun end
there was maybe a .10 v differance from one end to the other. not much at all
sschefer

It's not a dumb question, voltage and current are inversley proportionate. If the tip is dirty or mishapped its not making good contact with the wire and will not be able to carry the current. From what I've experienced, the weld starts looking bad or just lays on top with no penetration. Your description of cranking up the current not making any difference tells me one of two things: 1. The machine is faulty and just not producing the required current or 2. The gun tip is fouled/faulty and not carrying the current to the wire. It's just a SWAG but I didn't see anywhere in your posts that you had checked it so I thought I'd mention it.

Steve
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
J_68

still no change in the machine.
how would i check how many amps the machine is putting out on each setting ?
the only reason i ask is because a car battery can have 12 volts but no amps so it will
not start a vehicle but work great to run your ice fishing lights for a while
and i assume that the welder runs amps as well ?
all my other welders say amps or volts on the front but this one says nothing.
thanks
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

wire speed=amperage, the other knob is voltage. if you have an inductive current meter, you can measure the current through the ground cable, otherwise you can't really measure it output amps.
J_68

thanks for all the help guys
J_68

well, i got it working.
all it took was me to bring it in the house to the 3rd story and open the window and said if you decide not to work ill throw you out.
tada it works.
jw

i put a new liner in,new tip,took the ground clamp/wire all arpart and wire wheeled it all shiney and put on a new nut and clamp
some new wire, cleaned the nozzel and now she works
sschefer

J_68 wrote:well, i got it working.
all it took was me to bring it in the house to the 3rd story and open the window and said if you decide not to work ill throw you out.
tada it works.
jw

i put a new liner in,new tip,took the ground clamp/wire all arpart and wire wheeled it all shiney and put on a new nut and clamp
some new wire, cleaned the nozzel and now she works
Great news, probably saved you a divit in the driveway too> :mrgreen:
J_68

im glad it works but dummy me didnt do one at a time to figure out what was really wrong and just fixed it all at once.
now ill never know.

now for the next task.

1. i am looking to weld some alum. what type of gas do i use ?
2. can you weld alum with a flux welder ? and how ?
joseph.mowery
    Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Have you checked to make sure you are using the correct tip size for the wire you are feeding?
joseph.mowery
    Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Have you checked to make sure you are using the correct tip size for the wire you are feeding?