mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
kripl88
    Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Im trying to figure out how long would it take to weld out a 72" x 3/4" fit-up. ive welded 3/8"s wall before but i had a sub-arc that did the fill and cap, and i dont have that luxury this time. i remember fit-up and weld-out taking 6-7 hours, so im assuming the heavier wall will take bout twice as long but was wondering if any of yall have experience with pipe this sized
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

kripl88,
You didn't mention the process but since this is the MIG section that is what I will assume. I have a calculator for mechanized MIG welders and it came up with roughly 20 arc hours using welding over 227" circumferential inches .045 Lincoln 81M (dual shield), 60* included bevels, using almost 100lbs of wire, 30 passes, using one welding tractor, but that would change significantly with different wires, travel speed and joint configuration. The bevel is going to be the biggest time determining factor. Shrink that bevel to 30* included and you might cut that time in half. I would guess you are doing it by hand so your time might be a little faster or slower.
-Jonathan
kripl88
    Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Yessir i plan on using all wire for this job. more than likely, .035 hard wire for a root and using .045 fc for a hot pass and im thinking of going to 1/16 fc for fill and cap. the bevels are gonna be 30-35 degree bevels. what ever is factory and whatever the bevel machine gets set for, always varies. where did you come up with the calculator you used to come up with the info?

kripl88,
The calculator I cannot share, propitiatory, but there are apps you can download that will get you close. Keep us posted on this project, this one peeks my interest.
-Jonathan
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Superiorwelding wrote:kripl88,
The calculator I cannot share, propitiatory, but there are apps you can download that will get you close. Keep us posted on this project, this one peeks my interest.
-Jonathan
What in the hell is propitiatory?
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

It means You probably will not get a copy. :D
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

GreinTime wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:kripl88,
-Jonathan
What in the hell is propitiatory?
"Proprietary" means his company owns the software, and he'll be lucky if being fired is the only consequence for sharing it.

"propitiatory" on the other hand, is an interesting new beast....
Perhaps use of the software causes some strange form of Acne on steroids?.
Perhaps one should not use Propecia for hair loss?

:shock:

Steve S
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

*facepalm*

I know what proprietary means guys, jeez!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I thought it was that thingy at the back of the boat that makes it go when the wind don't blow
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

GreinTime wrote:*facepalm*

I know what proprietary means guys, jeez!
If you throw it in the "strike zone", you KNOW someone's going to swing at it! :lol:

Steve S

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So I had a momant I couldn't speel.

It is just a Excel file that was created so I would assume anyone with knowledge of that software would be able to replicate it.
-Jonathan
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

"propitiatory" has something to do with liquor, boats and days off.