mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
WWoW
    Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:22 am

Background:

I have a Hobart 250 Iron man mig unit that works great, no one hicup in two years of steel migging, all sizes no problem. Then I got a "GREAT" idea, from teh welding supply shop, to install a 25' Miller Spoolmate 3545 Mig gun. I got the adapter kit and gun, bit of a klug to install, but works ok on 1 lb steel rolls. I got it to do ALum.

Current:

I wanted to mig some longer joints on the project, the TIG was working well, but mig can make a long project short. When it works.

I got the instructions from the miller site on how to use it for ALum mig. I replaced the drive roller(with key) and push roller, both are knurled. the are stamped .035

I install a new 1 lb roll of 4043 .035 mig wire with a .035 contact tip. I try and adjust the strength of the wire toruge by adjusting the set screw on the top of the gun handle. I take it all the way out to the losest setting and when I test it out on 1/8 alum angle it is so strong it cuts the alum and pushs through the other side.

I try lower heat and less wire speed, and still does it.

ANy body got any ideas ?? is 1/8 6061 alum too thin to MIG ??

thanks guys
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Hi WWow
1/8" Al is definitely not too thin to MIG
But what are your settings?
- tell us how many amps
- tell us your wire speed

It sounds like you are running far too hot.
What is the joint type (butt, fillet etc). Do you have a gap?
You mentioned that you lowered the heat and used less wire speed, but we need some actual numbers.

Also, what gas are you using?

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MIG aluminum is done "spray transfer". Turn the voltage up and wire down until the arc "hisses". You're not looking for the "bacon frying" sound with aluminum.

This is a tightrope act, though. Too much voltage or too little wire and you'll melt tips or fuse the wire to the tip.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

WWoW wrote:

I replaced the drive roller(with key) and push roller, both are knurled. the are stamped .035
WWoW,
Here is the first thing that popped out to me but has nothing to do with blowing through your material. You should not use knurled drive rolls on alum wire. You will tear up the wire causing pieces to jam up your liner, which might not apply in this case, but it will also decrease your contact tip life. You should be running "U" groove rolls for alum.
-Jonathan