mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
682bear
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

I have been using a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 with the gas bottle conversion for several years just for light fabrication and repairs around the house...

Last week I decided to pony up for a bigger machine... I purchased a Miller 211 auto-set with the free spoolgun promotion.

I brought it home and set it up for a test run using the 'auto-set' feature... and quickly realized that I can't keep up with the flow of wire...

It's not the machine... it's my lack of ability, I'm sure.

I then set the machine in manual mode to play with the wire speeds... the recommended setting for what I was doing was to set the wire speed at '60' (if I remember correctly)... I had to turn it down to '30' to keep up with it.

Ok, I know I need some practice.... but what effect does running the wire that much slower have on the quality of the weld? I'm guessing it would run hotter... does that equate to more penetration?

FWIW... I'm using the .030 ER70S-6 wire that came with it, C25 gas, welding 1/8" mild steel.

-Thanks -Bear
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Youre going to have to watch out for distortion. Voltage will need to come down with it as well to maintain the proper "mixture".
Last edited by Diesel on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

682bear wrote: I then set the machine in manual mode to play with the wire speeds... the recommended setting for what I was doing was to set the wire speed at '60' (if I remember correctly)... I had to turn it down to '30' to keep up with it.

Ok, I know I need some practice.... but what effect does running the wire that much slower have on the quality of the weld? I'm guessing it would run hotter... does that equate to more penetration?

FWIW... I'm using the .030 ER70S-6 wire that came with it, C25 gas, welding 1/8" mild steel.

-Thanks -Bear
Wire feed speed = amps
Voltage controls the weld height and width.

They both work together for a proper weld - but they have to be balanced - too much or too little voltage for the wire feed speed will not work well.

Here is a pretty good explanation:
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/ar ... ng-basics/
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
yamahablue
    Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:08 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
682bear wrote: I then set the machine in manual mode to play with the wire speeds... the recommended setting for what I was doing was to set the wire speed at '60' (if I remember correctly)... I had to turn it down to '30' to keep up with it.

-Thanks -Bear
Wire feed speed = amps
Voltage controls the weld height and width.

They both work together for a proper weld - but they have to be balanced - too much or too little voltage for the wire feed speed will not work well.

Here is a pretty good explanation:
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/ar ... ng-basics/
With my inexperienced eyes fig 6 and fig 7 would look like good welds from the outside.