mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Hey guys, I took a flux core mig test a few years ago and have wondered about this question ever since. We had to put several small uphill welds in to fill up two one inch plates with 45 bevels and the settings on the machine were set by the supervisor. He said these settings were within normal parameters but the welds were so small.
My test passed but another employee played around with the settings and was able to make some nice looking welds but the supervisor said they were out of range. Do you set your machine much different for an uphill weld than you would a flat weld? I would think so but after that experience it left me wondering if the plates that had the nicer looking welds would've passed if they had been tested.
    Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:48 pm

I did flux core dual shield uphill on some heat exchangers for a year (.045 E71T-1M). I always would start at 20 V - 200 IPM and tweek the settings from there to suit my needs.

here are some parameters for Licnoln flux core wire:

Lincoln Ultra Core 71A85 (E71T-1M) .045, C25 GAS, 1" stickout

21-26V - 175IPM
22-27V - 250IPM
23-28V - 300IPM

I also got a chance to practice on 232 wire at the Lincoln school for a week, (E71T-8) 5/64 wire, and was able to successfully weld vertical up at 19V - 90IPM.
Tyler