mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
yamahablue
    Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:08 pm

When you are tacking pieces together to hold them prior to running a bead do you move the tip of the gun or just hold it for a certain count?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

yamahablue wrote:When you are tacking pieces together to hold them prior to running a bead do you move the tip of the gun or just hold it for a certain count?
That varies by circumstance. If the parts are welded "free", where they may move with the shrinkage of the weld, I prefer small stringers, say 1/2" to 1" alternating sides, depending on application. For parts welded in a fixture, or by design unlikely to move much, I'll just hold the trigger for a second and move on.

Both methods are common.

Steve S
yamahablue

Thanks. So, 3 out of the 4 tacks I did the wire stuck to. I'm sure there's a trick to avoid that.

yamahablue wrote:Thanks. So, 3 out of the 4 tacks I did the wire stuck to. I'm sure there's a trick to avoid that.
What machine are you using? There should be some built-in -or- adjustable "burn-back" This is the wire feeder stopping a brief period before the current stops, and literally burns the wire back toward the tip, to avoid the wire sticking to the puddle.

Alternately, you can sharply move the gun just as you release the trigger.

Steve S
yamahablue

It's a miller 211, im not sure if it has the feature your talking about. I could also use some advice on doing the actual weld but maybe I need to start a new thread?

Yeah, it might be time to start a thread in the MIG/GMAW section.

The "introductions" page can get a bit crowded when we start having discussions here beyond "hello". :lol:

Steve S
yamahablue

Otto Nobedder wrote:Yeah, it might be time to start a thread in the MIG/GMAW section.

The "introductions" page can get a bit crowded when we start having discussions here beyond "hello". :lol:

Steve S
Huh? This is the mig/flux section.

yamahablue wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Yeah, it might be time to start a thread in the MIG/GMAW section.

Steve S
Huh? This is the mig/flux section.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry.... I was reading so many posts in "introductions" that I forgot where I was while replying to yours.

Multitasking?

Not today....

Steve S
yamahablue

Ha ha, you had me worried I was posting in the wrong section.
So here's what I'm working on, 3/8 plate used as a spacer on top of a leaf spring pad, 3/16 I think. A couple things, the spring pad is not flat anymore, it has a slight crown and also the ends are rounded over, both create a wierd fit up. I'm 100% new but was just going to set the machine to the door chart (1/4" maybe?) and go for it. I'm not sure if I should run a stringer bead first and then weave over that or just one bead. The instructions recommend just welding along the front and rear, the idea being the spacer can more easily be removed if need be.

I'd follow the instructions, and run a single stringer each side.

This is loaded in compression, so your welds will see very little stress other than the friction of the spring as it compresses/relaxes and drags across this.

Don't over think it.

Steve S
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Different tack sizes for different jobs. Depends on how much you need and want it to hold. Yours look fine!