mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
jagger
    Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:22 pm

I am thinking about building a small utility trailer out of 2 inch by 1/8" wall tubing. I haev a century 115 v flux core machine...will it work for this?
I have a friend who has an old linde 250amp mig welder that runs off 230v. I can borrow it if i need to.

Also what kind of wire should i get if i need to use the 230v linde mig machine?
milwiron
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:58 am

jagger wrote:I am thinking about building a small utility trailer out of 2 inch by 1/8" wall tubing. I haev a century 115 v flux core machine...will it work for this?
I have a friend who has an old linde 250amp mig welder that runs off 230v. I can borrow it if i need to.

Also what kind of wire should i get if i need to use the 230v linde mig machine?
While waiting for my Miller Syncrowave to get fixed I recently picked up a 120 amp Harbor Freight 151 Dual MIG welder just to have something to make sparks with and finish some small projects. Using .030 or .035 Lincoln 211MP wire it'll handle 1/8 inch just fine... but it's slow getting good penetration.

Since you have the choice, borrow the 250 Amp. Linde and things will go a -lot- quicker for you.

I like the Lincoln wire I mentioned above. Consistency is excellent between spools.
LightningStalker
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:12 pm

It should work just fine as long as your wiring can deliver the amps. Poor contact anywhere (outlet prongs, ground clamp, in the tip) and it's not going to work. I'd even make sure the screws are snug on the wiring. Clean it up real good and get it nice and shiny before laying a bead. For anything except thin sheet you'll have to crank it up all the way. Try and avoid using an extension cord. If you have to, use at least 12/3 and not very long. Even the extra connections will add resistance and reduce your welding power. None of the wiring (including the wires from the fuse box to the outlet) can be less than 12AWG.
ve3hzz
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Similar circumstances. I have a Lincoln 110 V Mig welder that is rated at or near 20 Amps to do up to 1/4 inch on flux core wire. I have a dedicated 20 Amp outlet connected to it's own 20 Amp breaker on a short run from the fuse box. It is then direct connected to the Mig welder. Question is will I also be able to weld a small trailer (as in a motorcycle trailer) using similar materials as to what has been posted. I can opt later for a Arc welder like the 220 Amp Lincoln and wire in a breaker for it on a 30-40 Amp fuse, but don't want the expense if can do it with this one. What has anyone had experience with, as this is my first welder and I know I need practice on a few small projects first before attempting this. I will also get some experience welders to look over my welds on any trailer project before I would ever take it out on the road to ensure it's a solid connection and good penetration.

Thanks. :D

Scott

One last thing is tack welding on sheet metal, what is the best wire to use (using AR25 gas)? It's on my truck which requires a new cab corner. I know what the book says, but experience counts from what anyone else has tried and worked.
stickman
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:42 am

Go with the 250 amp machine and try out this metal cored wire from J.W. Harris/Perfect Circle called "twenty gauge" .035 it is sweet. You can order it at your local Air Gas or Praxxair dealer. Lincoln NR 211 MP .035 is as a good wire if you have to work outside (no shielding gas needed). Good luck from your friendly backyard engineer --stickman.
MobileWelding
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:01 am

I build A LOT of A/C security cages on site, and for that, I use a Lincoln Handy-Core. It is a flux core only machine that uses .035 wire. Works like a champ. Flux-core cane do a lot more than people think, once you get good at it and know it's limitations.