mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Ebl77
    Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Hello everyone. I have a few questions about welding with FCAW. First some background and specifics . Ive been welding for 5 years and my experience is GTAW and GMAW on 300 series stainless and duplex material and virtually no experience with carbon. Ive ran 045. Flux cored a few times but it was on 18/ 8 steel. so at my new job I started today I was struggling to say the least when I was running this fcaw 1/16 wire on carbon. I got alot of undercut and overlap which I know i can quickly be eliminated with some tips for settings and techniques. Heres some specifics:
Hobart Arc 71 wire
572 grade 50 material
Gas is coming from a manifold system so im not 100%sure
2g /2f position

Any tips or information is greatly appreciated and if you require any additional information please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If your using a whip pattern in line with the weld you may want to try more of a swirl stroke. Either way adjust how much movement you make as you travel. Been about 15 years since I ran fc so I can't remember settings. Play with your heat some try going up or down by about 3 amp intervals. I just remember it being real sensitive to travel speed.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
charlie19
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 pm

For all position welding set machine for between 24 volts and 160 ipm up to 26 volts and 225 ipm. I use no movement of the wire, no oscillation, just let the arc do the work. In other words, no too fast on the travel speed, like the previous post said.