mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Indexation
    Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:05 pm

Can someone tell me the Correct Settings for GMAW For 1F 2F 3F AND 4F Please the wire speed and voltage for each Weld?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

What wire size ? What metal? What gas?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll dig even deeper.

What base metal are you welding? What filler metal are you intending to use?

As Poland308 asked, what wire size? Solid or cored?

There's no magic formula that will answer your question. It's very specific to each application.

Give us more information, and we'll try to guide you.

Steve S
Indexation

Otto Nobedder wrote:I'll dig even deeper.

What base metal are you welding? What filler metal are you intending to use?

As Poland308 asked, what wire size? Solid or cored?

There's no magic formula that will answer your question. It's very specific to each application.

Give us more information, and we'll try to guide you.

Steve S
Sorry 3/8 Plate Carbon Steel 0.35 Wire 75% Argon 25% Co2
Indexation

Poland308 wrote:What wire size ? What metal? What gas?
Sorry 3/8 Plate Carbon Steel 0.35 Wire 75% Argon 25% Co2 Solid wire

For those materials, I like around 20.8V, and 350IPM wire for all but the 4F, where I'll step the wire up to 365 and push" slightly.

These are approximate settings, as non two machines will behave "exactly" the same, but should give you a starting point.

Steve S
Indexation

Otto Nobedder wrote:For those materials, I like around 20.8V, and 350IPM wire for all but the 4F, where I'll step the wire up to 365 and push" slightly.

These are approximate settings, as non two machines will behave "exactly" the same, but should give you a starting point.

Steve S
Also is 2f 3f and 4f common weld tests? For employment and also running uphill on 3f would those settings work as well or would it change for the 2 and 3 pass
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Indexation wrote:Can someone tell me the Correct Settings for GMAW For 1F 2F 3F AND 4F Please the wire speed and voltage for each Weld?
Yes

I will use the settings I gave for almost anything in a fillet position on 1/4 to 3/8 material, up or down. They function with slight adjustment on a Lincoln CV-305 with remote feeder, Miller 252, and MillerMatic 251 I use regularly.

Some adjustment may be required for your personal style as well as your machine. Machines will vary a bit unless regularly calibrated (and we have only one calibrated machine), and transformer machines will vary with the input voltage available from your utility. (This varies; In single phase "220", you might have 220, 230, or 240V at the plug, as one example.) Any advice you get on this subject should be considered "a place to start", and adapt from there.

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Around here the local power company boosts output during high demand times of the day. Usually early morning when everyone fires up there coffee pot and turns on there lights till about 4 pm when they head home. Or on extra hot or cold days. Sometimes as much as 10 %. Your 120 volt plug may push 130 volts when they do.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
docwebb2
    Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:21 pm

I have a question about how the bead looks after you weld,I AM VERY NEW to mig welding, and I when I am practicing, my beads look very cold and matt colored gray when I thought they should look a little more bright,even a little more shine to it,maybe this is what It should look like???? My machine is a Lincoln power mig 216 I am welding on 1/4" carbon steel plate,my settings are E for heat and 320 for wire feed(per machine)I am running 0.35 steel mig wire through a tweco gun hooked to a 25/75 mix of argon and carbon diox,there is no slag on the bead just a cold color gray,I wire it off and shine it up??? NORMAL or are my settings off,am I doing something wrong,I only ask because the welds I see are usually pretty clean and have a good shine to them....

Thanks
Mark