mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
jegbflat
    Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:15 am

Hello, very new to welding. Always wanted to learn, now in retirement and purchased a MIG machine. I understand there's a learning curve involved with this and most anything. However, I'm getting frustrated with what I see (or can't) through the view-finder. Hard to learn proper technique when I can't observe what's happening at the weld puddle very well. When I first strike an arc, all I see is a burst of light - and by the time I become oriented I've already either blown through the metal or gotten off track. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

JGiles
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There was a recent thread with lots of discussion about some similar issues. http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=8152
I have more questions than answers

Josh
jegbflat

Thanks Josh. I read over that thread but it seemed to assume a bad helmet with no real explanation for or solution to the problem. Mine is a brand new $200plus helmet...not the best for sure, but also not a cheapie. If it truly is the helmet that causes this phenomenon maybe someone could explajn why so I could either adjust mine or know what to look for in another. Reluctant to throw out a new helmet wthout understanding what's wrong with it. Thanks again. Jg
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Jg,
What is the helmet, model, manufacturer.
Auto or fixed, I'll assume auto.
Have you fitted fresh batteries, oem batteries have been in there since it was built which may be over a year until it was sold, I'm having this issue with my new helmet. Change the batteries if it still flashes you have a look at the response switch and set to fast, you are in "weld" mode not in grind I presume?
If it still plays up after that take it back, it may be faulty.
How many sensors 2 or 4
Do you wear glasses, what type, progressive, fixed etc. I find that using a fixed set is clearer over my progressives.

And yep if you cant see it you cant weld it.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey JGiles and welcome.

I had a helmet issue recently, bought a quality 4 sensor lid and now all fine. Understand yours is a decent piece of kit...but can I suggest something?

See if you can borrow another quality helmet, then test it/compare it alongside yours. I didn't really understand what was going wrong with my old helmet until I held it up alongside my new one and compared. Wasn't even sure if the issue of me getting flashed was a helmet issue. Now I know it definitely was.

Empathise with you. Nothing worse than trying to learn but not being able to see. Good luck.

Kym
jegbflat

Thanks Kym, may I ask what make/model helmet you bought? Others here mentioned changing batteries but I notice mine is solar-powered so can't replace batts...

Thanks again
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

As with others have said the helmet will play a role. I recently got the Lincoln Viking 3350 and will never go back. However you can weld without a 300$ helmet. What shade are you using. You may need a darker shade than others. It will also take you time to see past the arc and watch the puddle and how to manipulate it. That's part of welding. Watch some of jodys videos and see what your looking for then just practice.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Lincoln Viking! I had an old Miller POS and I even put a new sensor set up in it and it was still a POS. Bought that Viking and now I can see. The ability to weld relies on vision so skimping in the area of a helmet is not an option in my opinion. My weld quality improved by leaps and bounds with a good helmet and the right cheater lens...now I barely suck :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

jegbflat wrote:Thanks Kym, may I ask what make/model helmet you bought? Others here mentioned changing batteries but I notice mine is solar-powered so can't replace batts...

Thanks again

Sorry for late reply...I'm in Australia, and helmet is a CIGweld Prolite.

http://www.cigweld.com.au/product-categ ... y/helmets/

Very decent piece of kit, AU$139.

Kym
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

Hello jegbflat,

As has been discussed make sure the helmet is working correctly. My old Hobart helmet has a test feature - hold the ON button and it will wink light to dark to light twice. My Speedglas has just an indicator LED to show it is on. For a true test, point the helmet at a bright light source - the sun is great if outdoors or near a window - and it should darken. If not, time to contact the vendor.

As far as seeing what you want to see... I must ask your age? Among us senior welders (as in age not necessarily experience) a pair of reading glasses or a "cheater" lens installed in the helmet can be a great help. Several years ago I was covering a welding class in the local community college while the instructor was in the hospital. One of the students, probably in his late 40s, told me he was having trouble seeing the puddle. I loaned him my helmet with a 2X cheater lens installed. The improvement in his welding was nothing short of miraculous. I though I was going to have to fight him to get the helmet back. He picked up a pack of reading glasses at the Dollar store and was good to go.

Best of luck,

Ken
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I, too, used reading glasses to my advantage for several years. However, my eyes have declined asymmetrically, so to use them today I would need, say, +1.75 on one eye and +2.25 on the other, and using the +2.00 was not a good compromise. I finally have a regular eye-doctor, and have better results. Seems I also have an astigmatism, and now wear bifocals.

A work on bifocals for welding... Don't get progressive lenses. I hated them for welding, as my near vision was nearly at the bottom of the lens. I wear lined bifocals for work, with the "near" lens set very high, so I don't have to tip my head back with my (large format lens) hood down.

Steve S
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

The reading glasses I mentioned earlier are prescription, single focus type.
Progressives just annoy me welding or reading.
The down side, everything over 2 feet away is blurry.
Bi focals, for me nothing is in focus, thats why I went progressive.
Not enjoying the "aging" experience.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
jegbflat

Thanks a bunch, guys...I think you've probably hit on at least part of my problem (if not most of it). I'm very much a "senior" in age, and, coincidently, currently needing new prescription progressive glasses. My current lenses have deteriorated due to chemicals or something and probably are causing some glare and starbursts. I haven't ordered the lenses yet, so I'm going back to the doctor and hoping to talk with him about this issue. Hopefully between his help and use of cheater lenses, I can maybe get a handle on this. I really feel you all have identified my problem and offered some great suggestions.

Thank you!!

jg