mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just for the fun of it today, I did a simple Tee joint, 1/4" 304SS, welded with .035 308L, in 1F position. 23.1V, 380 IPM.

I did the left side in one slow, steady motion. The right was done with a step-pause rhythm. Interesting results...
DSCF0021.JPG
DSCF0021.JPG (51.08 KiB) Viewed 615 times
While both welds show complete root penetration, the step-pause appears to be shallower on the vertical leg, where the steady-motion seems symmetrical. I may have to repeat this, to be sure I wasn't doing something else different between the two.

Also note the step-pause got cut in the middle of a peak, and shows the inconsistent cross section. However, the throat is adequate despite the undulations.

I'm going to have to try this in other positions, as well, as time permits.

Steve S
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

What gas did you use Steve?
Also did you allow the plates to cool before doing the opposite side?

John
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Nice test! I love this stuff. Looks like the right one is a different gun angle as well as fillet size. It would be cool to see the difference set up on a track mounted machine so travel speed and gun angle would be exact. I was actually asked to do some testing on spray vs pulse spray here soon, couple weeks, and I will post up the results.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

WTFH wrote:What gas did you use Steve?
Also did you allow the plates to cool before doing the opposite side?

John
It was tri-mix (90% He, 7.5% Ar, 2.5% CO2).

I did allow some cooling time, but did not measure it as a variable.

I think the difference in penetrations must be due to some difference in torch angle, as I set this up on a whim, and did it quickly.

I was more interested in the root penetration since that seems to be one of the foci of the debate.

I'll have to give it another go with tighter controls.

Steve S