mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
bubbas55
    Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:35 am

just got this welder and need some practice time but am faced with a project that im not sure i can handle. the 190 is rated at 5/16" but in need to weld some 1/2" to 1/8". these are lap joints and only involve a few inches but need to be fairly strong welds. im thinking i get every thing REAL clean, well set up and focus on the thicker metal mostly and do more than one pass. am i off base ??
thanks all
ron
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome Bubba. If it's a lap joint like you describe then you really only have to penetrate the 1/2 in an equal amount as what the 1/8 in needs. Anything more would be excessive and unless your making a wider weld because you like the way it looks than your welder should work fine.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Position the material at a 45* or so angle, thick piece to the top and thin underneath. Do a horizontal weld in a Z up and down and delay a tick longer on the high(thick) side.
Set the machine just hot enough to blow through the 1/8 IF you were to delay too long down there.That means close to maxed out for that rig.
Very hard to explain in words.You'll see it.Watch the puddle and shove it up. The 1/8 will turn cherry quickly. The top will take twice that long to liquify.It'd be nice to heat the hell out of the thick piece with a torch, position quickly and weld immediately. This scenario(one of the few) is where TIG beats MIG hands down.
bubbas55
    Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:35 am

well it worked... YEAH... :D got in a little practice and burned a couple holes but when it got to the real thing it worked, not the best looking welds but it WORKED... tomorrow comes a little more difficult weld, making a hinge between a piece of 1/2" and the other parts , but now i think i have the confidence needed to get-er-done. this was the first time i used the new hobart.. love it..