mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
WeldMore
    Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm new to MIG welding and have a question about the voltage regulation on the new Inverter/IGBT MIG welders. I purchased an EverLast MTS 211Si recently and noticed that the output voltage was varying +- 0.4 volts when welding (based on the welder display and a volt meter connected to the output). Set-up was Lincoln ER70S-6 30mil wire and welding on 0.25" mild steel using C25 gas, wire speed 325 ipm, 17.2 volts and in Standard Mode versus Synergic Mode. Another person with the same welder saw +- 0.25 volts on their 211Si.
So the question is - how constant should the constant voltage output be on the new MIG welders that have inverter outputs?
Thanks.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think any mig welders output will remain constant while welding as it's dependent on arc length / stick out & travel speed so hand movement will alter voltage - I guess you could set a torch up on a positioner & try it just as an experiment but I would'nt worry about less than a volt fluctuations - higher / wild fluctuations could be a sign of bad connections / erratic operator or machine fault.

I was working with the Miller 252 at work yesterday and while a co-worker was welding the output voltage was varying half a volt or so either way. No big deal. It's normal.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch