mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
mortizx
    Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:39 am

Hi, Im new to welding and I just got a good deal for the Pro MIg 180 at Lowes for like 550. Was wondering if I should go for a Power Mig which I here its better and more professional for 650 or stay with Pro Mig 180?
Also, I can also get the ProMig 140 for 450 and Since im new, and I dont weld anything 1/2 thick, cause im starting to learn, should I get the 110v vs 220 because of portability?

Thanks,,
MJJT
    Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:11 pm

I bought a Lincoln Electric 180C MIG/Flux Core welder from Ivey (a Lincoln Electric distributor). The Lowes or Home Depot ones, from what I’ve researched, are okay until they break. They are of lesser quality. I verified this with Lincoln Electric Tech folks; there is a difference. I wired my garage for the 220 Volts. My personal preference was a bigger machine that would do the job of a smaller machine too. This decision was very helpful when I jumped to a bigger project like the utility trailer I just built. Hope this helps.
Sarge

Go big or go home I always say... You will not regret it.
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
    Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:31 pm

I own a 180c, purchased at the local welding store. Differences include cast aluminum drive as opposed to plastic drive train. Decide whether you need your machine to last a long time or a short time, these parts are expensive. The 180c also has the "diamond " start feature which ensure easy arc striking every time. Yep, it works makes a big difference where joints aren't as clean as they should be for lazy guys like me. Oh, can't forget the most important part, the ALU handle. I believe that the extra money is worth it and you get to establish a better relationship with your local welding shop. HD won't drop a few tips in your hand or include a pair of gloves with your purchase. Have you ever tied to return something to HD for warranty repair? Oi vey!
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I think for the price difference, I would go with a 220 volt unit. You can never have enough power!
It is interesting to see the differences posted here between the Big Box Store models and the LWS versions. I know that the 180c has an infinitely adjustable voltage dial versus the "tapped" settings "A,B,C,D,E" on the cheaper models (180T).
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I just (1 mo ago) bought a "Lincoln power mig 180" welder. One of my bros has a (older) lincoln 125 amp wire feeder welder, and another has a older miller about the same. I never realized how slick those things are! I went with the lincoln 'cause that bro, his son actually, used to be a welder and wont buy anything that doesent say lincoln on it, and he is still a good welder. (He used to weld those lil expansion chambers for gasoline power R/C race cars. Now he sells 'em)

Mine is a dual voltage unit, and I had already wired my garage for 220 v for my thermalarc tig. Thermal Arc's are nice I guess, (what do I know), but seem pricey, and theres a $100 rebate rite now for several lincoln units.
For what its worth, , , , -Corn-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!