mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:30 pm

i have an aluminim 4" pipe 3/16" thick to weld to a aluminium flange using M.I.G process. How do I go about doing this the weld will be made in the field. (ex. how should i clean the material?, Do i need a degreaser?, should i use all uphand welding?, should there be a backing strip inside) any other information will be thankful
Sarge

Sounds like 4" sched 40. What type of machine are you running? spool gun? pulse? Is the metal old and weathered? New? Still have the anodized coat? What wire? is the pipe 6061?
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250

Yes I have a spool gun and the machine is a Miller Trail Blazer 302. The pipe is coated and is new. I am waiting on the mill certificate to determine the properties of the aluminium. Do I need a degreaser? How is it applied and removed? Preheat? Post heat? Any information on sound welding would be appreciated.
Sarge

The coating takes a LOT of heat to "burn" through. I use a 350MP dual pulse so I am not the spool gun guy. Pre-heat is definitely helpful. Wire brushing the parts real good and having them fit well with a bevel is preferred. I do not do pressure lines, mine is structural and super cosmetic which is a different animal to some degree. Clean clean clean is the best. www.innovativeh2o.com if you want to see what I do. Sorry I could not be more help.
Be Innovative.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250

thanx 4 ur help do u weld all over the world then
Sarge

No. We ship all over the world. Units in Haiti, Congo, India, Nigeria, Mexico, China, and soon many more places including the U.S. of course. We have other products like the UF series that you may have seen on the site. I use the 3.5",3", and 2.5" sched 40 aluminum 6061 on the solar mast assy.
Be Innovative.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

That other guy had it right. clean clean clean. if possible, grind down your weld and re-do it, this should help with weld quality.