mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
BooRadley
    Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 am

I am job hunting, and one of the tests I am liable to be doing very soon is a 3g flux core. I haven't been given any more specifics than that, so I don't know if it is going to be like the AWS D1.1 or what. I'm assuming it will be similar, until the person at the whatever gives me more info.

If it is like the AWS D1.1, I have the option of laying weave beads rather than stringers. I prefer weaving, even with flux core. But it has been a year since I have done flux core, so I have to ask. What type of weave would you suggest for fill and cap? Crescents (smiles or frowns?), figure 8s, vees, upside down vees, or...?

Thanks.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

In all reality, whatever you are best at and gets the job done. Each person has his or her own style that is best for them.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
BooRadley
    Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 am

Well, which type of weave is best for you with flux core 3g?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

When weaving flux core wire. Take it slow across the middle. The weld metal will not flow into the middle like it does with solid wire, therefor if you go to fast across the middle you will have a low area up the center. It take some getting used to if you mainly do solid wire to go slow across the middle.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

In 3g, I prefer "frowns", as you put it, slowing across the center to allow time to fill, and quick at the sides to avoid overfilling.

Your mileage may vary. I've done very little "flux-core" that wasn't actually "dual-shield". These are different animals.

Steve