mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Fido's Butt
    Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:38 am

Any ideas on a decent respirator for MIG/FC welding? It looks like the types I see in the big box stores with the two canisters on the sides won't fit under a typical hood. Even if I only weld 6-12 inches with solid wire in my shop with the exhaust fan (in-wall) on, I end up coughing for the next two hours---tastes like sulfur in my throat. I don't know if something like that is made for welders-----not the super expensive full helmet types. Miller makes a low profile one that seems like it would work----anyone used it or similar one? (Can't see how to post a photo of it)
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

What is it your welding? I understand the want to be safe but I weld all day long (stick/tig) and inhale grinder dust all day and have no problems like that. Just blow or hack the black crud out at the end of the day.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Fido's Butt
    Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:38 am

Just mild steel that has its mill-scale ground off---no galvanizing or coating like that . I'm not a safety freak at all, but those fumes really cause a nagging cough. Anyway I found a low profile Miller respirator for $28.00 I ordered from eBay and other welders who reviewed it say they like it because it fits under most hoods. I'll give it a try.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

A respirator is a good idea! There's more than just black crud in those fumes and some stuff you can't hack up. Have you considered adding a piece of flex duct like dryer vent aluminum from the fan over to the exact spot your welding? To get some localized extraction at the source.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Oh I know there's a ton of hazardous stuff that I breathe in from welding, I was just curious as I've never had any showing effects other than one time I had to weld galvanized in a room. Got a little light headed. A respirator is definitely something you would want, I just am too careless. I also have a problem with safety glasses and face shields... ;)
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I tend to be lax too. But after the second time I had to have shavings drilled out of my eye I got better about glasses and I wear a face shield when I need too. Plus a lot of job sites it's mandatory. They will run you off a job no matter how good you weld.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AR6 ... 12&sr=8-12

The downdraft exhalation port keeps my shield from fogging up. I use it with the 2297 pancake filters, and it fits under the hood quite nicely. 2297's may be overkill, but they P-100 filters, good for all welding fumes, oil and non oil based particulates and even some VOC protection. They also offer very little breathing resistance.
Multimatic 255
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Louie1961 wrote:I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AR6 ... 12&sr=8-12

The downdraft exhalation port keeps my shield from fogging up. I use it with the 2297 pancake filters, and it fits under the hood quite nicely. 2297's may be overkill, but they P-100 filters, good for all welding fumes, oil and non oil based particulates and even some VOC protection. They also offer very little breathing resistance.
I second this.

This is the product you're looking for. The downdraft exhale valve is a big plus, and P-100 is rated for everything "welding fume", including hex-chrome from stainless steel.

Steve S
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Cbking
    Sun May 03, 2015 2:57 pm

GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I have a Miller LPR 100 I think it is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Edit: for the price, it has to be the same mask. I have a SavePhace M03 and it fits fine under it, and it hugs the face pretty tightly.

Now I'm curious as to whether it italicizes all edits or if it is only when you put Edit: Don't mind my ramblings, sometimes I I talk to myself. It's when the other voice start to answer the questions that I get worried ;)
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 pm

All depends on what you want to spend on your health. Local ventilation at the source is always your friend.

There are plenty of respirator hazards in welding fumes, simple iron particulate if small enough to be respirable can irritate the lung tissue over time. Fortunately, the body has lots of defenses over these type exposures that help to lessen the effects, or at least prolong the survivable dose. Recent studies have shown increased exposures to Manganese in steel welding has significant risks that can lead to you being able to hide your own Easter eggs and all martinis shaken, not stirred. In stainless welding, and some standard steel, there can be excess exposures to hexavalent chromium (Cr(VI)) which is a carcinogen.

3M has paper filter respirators that are N95, N99 and N100 (HEPA) but only work as well as the fit. Light, cheap and cool and will provide some protection over nothing. Miller has a nice half face respirator that fits under a hood with N100 filters, I think. 3M, North, MSA as well but may or may not fit under hood. Tight seal to face provides better protection but needs to be fit properly to work. Best to fit test but at least should be able to cover the inhalation ports and hold a suction for a few seconds with no leakage. Of course can't have facial hair or will break seal.

Miller, Lincoln, 3M, Bullard and several other manufacturers have PAPR welding hoods with loose fit positive flow to the face. With these types, can have facial hair as they don't have a tight fit. These are probable best protection this side of supplied air. Of these mentioned, Bullard advertises the highest assigned protection factor rating of 1000, while the others advertise 25 APF. Because these provide positive air flow to face and are not tight fit, they are cooler. Down side is cost at about $1500, battery charge each night to work and 10# filter unit carried on waist with hose to helmet can be comber some.

If I were welding full time, I would seriously consider a PAPR and local exhaust as much as possible with other controls only when this option was not possible. For part time welding, lesser controls should ce considered. I weld aluminum and use a paper filter N99 mask.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respirator
http://www.coopersafety.com/respiratortypes.aspx
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast Water Cooler (2)
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

the 3M P100 2297's are even better than the pinkies.
Timmontoya88
    Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:22 am

Fido's Butt wrote:Just mild steel that has its mill-scale ground off---no galvanizing or coating like that . I'm not a safety freak at all, but those fumes really cause a nagging cough. Anyway I found a low profile Miller respirator for $28.00 I ordered from eBay and other welders who reviewed it say they like it because it fits under most hoods. I'll give it a try.
Gosh I paid $40 for mine.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I run the Miller with the p100 filters, and I can tell the difference I use to be more relaxed about it but now it just seems routine....no more black snot or headaches either.
Attachments
IMG_20160319_175116068.jpg
IMG_20160319_175116068.jpg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 989 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB