mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Marco_Polo
    Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 am

Hey guys,

According to Jody method for setting wire speed according to thickness of material (which work great btw)

When I weld 2 different thicknesses of the material, which thickness should I set the wire speed according to?

When I weld a 2mm and 4mm it all fine, but on other end situations, for example 2mm and 10mm?

Thanks friends!
Backsheddave
    Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 am

Well, if it were me I'd check the Miller welding app for 3mm mild steel settings and go from there. I've found the app. really good for getting you close to what you need. Same for 2 through 10, I'd check the app for say.....round 6mm and try on some scrap from there. You will need to hang on the thicker metal a little longer as you move along the weld.
The_Fixer
    Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

What we generally do is to keep the power up enough just to penetrate the thicker metal and direct the majority of the arc heat on to that, gently washing up to the thinner plate just fusing it in.
Marco_Polo
    Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 am

Hey. thank you both!

Got it about the hanging over the thicker metal longer, and setting the power with a scrap...
but, what about the wire speed? setting it according to the thicher or thinner part?

Thanks guys
The_Fixer
    Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

Just the minimum required to get reasonably good fusion on the thicker plate. Not so much that it will blow the thin one away.
If you have trouble getting enough heat onto the thick one, sometimes pre heating it with help. But don't heat the thin one.

As for wire speed, not too fast as you won't be able to control what you're doing. For me, I find backing the speed just below the point of that crackling sound.

But it all depends on position, access and what you like.