mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
ttreb4
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

I have been trying to teach myself to MIG weld. It seems to me that they are a little cold. Are my assumptions correct? Do I need to go hotter and increase my travel speed to not burn through?
Attachments
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0608.JPG (51.08 KiB) Viewed 768 times
IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG (68.44 KiB) Viewed 768 times
IMG_0604.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG (51.59 KiB) Viewed 768 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Turn it up just a hair and try a little more of a circular pattern than a back and forth. It might give you the look you want.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ttreb4

Poland308 wrote:Turn it up just a hair and try a little more of a circular pattern than a back and forth. It might give you the look you want.
Thanks. That seems to be working much better. I appreciate your help.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

MIG welding can take on different appearances depending on different technique, fit up, position. You just kind of learn through osmosis over time as you weld to adjust.
I don't really like doing rails with MIG prefer TIG but these are just down and dirty industrial. See how the weld appears to be humped up around the pickets?
I don't really like doing rails with MIG prefer TIG but these are just down and dirty industrial. See how the weld appears to be humped up around the pickets?
image10.JPG (96.31 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Same exact machine, same settings on a cope joint, different looking profile entirely.
Same exact machine, same settings on a cope joint, different looking profile entirely.
image11.JPG (89.79 KiB) Viewed 632 times
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
ttreb4

DLewis0289 wrote:MIG welding can take on different appearances depending on different technique, fit up, position. You just kind of learn through osmosis over time as you weld to adjust.
image10.JPG
image11.JPG
I'll keep that in mind. I didn't know that. I have watched Jodi's video's on you tube and his MIG welds seem to lay flat while mine seemed to have more of a crown and the edges (toe) of the weld didn't seem to cut into the metal. Thanks you for your response and pictures. That really helps.
Bsmith
    Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 pm

You are not melting the metal.
Imagine this. Tjoint , starte puddle, hold there till it builds puddle, move to right or left(center) then to top, pause for count of 1, back down then repeat.

You are melting one metal, pooling it, bringing it to the other metal to fuse them together. I hope this helps. Till I knew this, it was a lot harder.

Metal doesn't always melt soon as you touch it. Unless its stick.

Makes sure you are melting metal and pulling it to fuse with other metal.