mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
medsar
    Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:54 pm

I know this is a really stupid question <ducking for cover>. I'm happy for someone to say 'google XXX' or 'search XXX'. I really did try to search google and search this forum. So here goes -- does FCAW-G give more penetration/strength than FCAW-S? AKA, if I had the same equipment and ability to gasless vs dual shield...is there a structural advantage of FCAW-G?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/su ... rodes.aspx

Similar process but diferent capabilities. Each has benefits in a given application while strength is rated by the tensil strength of the wire you choose. (Strength) is also a relative term depending on settings, base metal, and weld orientation.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
medsar

Thank you Poland. I appreciate the article.

As mentioned in the article, FCAW-S has a more globular weld deposit profile (if it can even be said that way) and FCAW-G has a more spray profile. This is my confusion -- are they saying that FCAW-G is a type a spray transfer or just 'spray like'? I initially read it as 'spray like'. However, assuming that it is spray transfer, when comparing FCAW-S to FCAW-G on thick materials, the advantage of FCAW-G would be the ability to use relatively smaller wire (as compared to self shielded FCAW-S wire for the same sized metal) while allowing for adequate penetration. Is that a good way of understanding it? This is a bit confusing for me.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

medsar wrote:Thank you Poland. I appreciate the article.

As mentioned in the article, FCAW-S has a more globular weld deposit profile (if it can even be said that way) and FCAW-G has a more spray profile. This is my confusion -- are they saying that FCAW-G is a type a spray transfer or just 'spray like'? I initially read it as 'spray like'. However, assuming that it is spray transfer, when comparing FCAW-S to FCAW-G on thick materials, the advantage of FCAW-G would be the ability to use relatively smaller wire (as compared to self shielded FCAW-S wire for the same sized metal) while allowing for adequate penetration. Is that a good way of understanding it? This is a bit confusing for me.
From that article, why did you decide that the size of the wire was important?

Where are you getting the language of "more globular" or "spray like" ?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (21.04 KiB) Viewed 768 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 768 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
medsar

I re-read the article and you are absolutely correct. The article was very clear. I guess I need to read better. Thank you.