mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Jcole112
    Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:12 pm

I'm in the market for a new modern Technology Mig that has more finite adjustment. I weld quite a bit of rollbar tubing and my two old migs just don't have the adjustment that I'd like to have to help produce more attractive welds. I hate to beat the dead horse but
ie: more uniform stack of dime type welds.

So will a new Miller 252 do the job or do I need an inverter machine like the Esab Fabricator 252i.

Any opinions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

We have a miller 252 mug at my school and I love it. Really simple to use and really great adjustability. Runs like a tank and has far exceeded my expectations and it's duty cycle.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

What you want is much more the person doing the welding than the machine itself... I'm willing to bet that either of the machines you own in the hands of someone like ZTFab(on Welding Web) would produce perfect stacked dimes look.
Stacked dimes is not the sign of a sound weld BTW. MIG is notorious for producing poor quality welds that look good.
Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

I use a Miller 252 in the shop at work. It's a great machine, no grumbles about it at all. I also have a Tweco Fabricator 211i that's my personal MIG machine, and I've no grumbles about it either. As other members have mentioned, the operator is much more important than the machine in getting a good weld with MIG. As I recall, Jody's done a video or two about the "MIG like TIG" phenomenon, and I think he even did a cut and etch in one of them. Well worth watching.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Jcole112

I truly realize that welder talent is the most important. I've watched most of Jody's videos including his mig like tig videos which is one of the reasons I'm considering a new machine. Jody has mentioned more than once about the importance of being able to adjust the inductance as well as some machines now have synergic amp/wire speed control. These allow for fine tuning the weld arc and puddle. At least that is what ive read. I am hoping someone here has been able to figure out which one is of most importance to more picture perfect welds.
Bsmith
    Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Jcole112 wrote:I truly realize that welder talent is the most important. I've watched most of Jody's videos including his mig like tig videos which is one of the reasons I'm considering a new machine. Jody has mentioned more than once about the importance of being able to adjust the inductance as well as some machines now have synergic amp/wire speed control. These allow for fine tuning the weld arc and puddle. At least that is what ive read. I am hoping someone here has been able to figure out which one is of most importance to more picture perfect welds.

Post a pic of your weld. Also what machines do you own currently?
Jcole112

I use a Millermatic 200 and a Migmaster 250 both with .030

I'm new to this board, I have to sort out how to properly post a picture
Oilman
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

I have the Miller 200 and it welds great. I can fine tune it to do whatever I want. In fact I found it has a more stable arc at lower amps compared to any of the Lincolns I used. OK I 'm not dissing Lincoln. Most of the red machines I used at work were meant for heavier welding applications. The exception was the SP125 welders I spec'ed out for sheet metal repair. They were fine except with the occasional fried boards from over use.

I expect your issue is with technique. MIG welding is much more difficult than it appears. Not terribly difficult, but it is easy to become deceived by the appearance of a nice looking bead. I should know I ran a MIG repair training and certification program and did my share of both destructive testing and micro analysis.

Tube welding is something that requires position contortions that most often lead to wandering welds and inconsistent travel speeds. If you want the stack of dimes look then you probably should learn MIG spot. Doable but pron to inclusions.
1969 Idealarc 250
Miller 200 MIG
Everlast 200DV
Micro welder