mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Frankly, I'd think it's 10 gauge... 0.135". A far more appropriate thickness for a boat hull.

Steve S
Backyardmech
    Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:34 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Frankly, I'd think it's 10 gauge... 0.135". A far more appropriate thickness for a boat hull.

Steve S
I still have our original owners guide, said hull was made with .100 gauge aluminum..boat is a 1997 Legend 16.5 ft boat. Thats my best info to go on...boat was given to me be by my dad.
Backyardmech
    Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:34 pm

RamboBaby wrote:What filler are you using? I believe marine applications require 5356. Otherwise the weld will corrode rapidly.
Using 4043...yes i now realize its not the right filler..but it came with the gun. And im still learning this aluminum welding thing. Crap...way différent then reg steel mig or fluxcore..
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

Make sure that you check it good before you take it out for a ride. I've seen a lot of leaky aluminum mig welds come into the shop in the past. Tig is a much better process when you need something sealed up tight.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Tommy2069
    Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 am

i always grinded the crack out then drilled a hole at each end just to make sure the crack stops there.