mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
duckhunter27
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Ok guys , I'm having a problem with the 6061 breaking in the haz . I'm using 5356 .047 wire . 100%argon . I'm running around 130 to 160 Amps on a xmt 350 . Everything has been cleaned with acetone and stainless steel wire brush . I've also tried to use a helium argon mix and even did inter pass temps of letting it cool to below 150 before the next pass . Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as always fellas .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 713 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (59.74 KiB) Viewed 713 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 713 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 713 times
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Can't directly help, but perhaps two bits of info about brakage on HAZ that may be helpful:

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/al ... 6-or-4043r

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/education/b ... -alloy.cfm

Bye, Arno.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Are you pre- or post-heating this weld?

6061 will have a very abrupt hardness change near the edge of the weld if it's not annealed to some extent across the HAZ.

Pre-heating to 275-300F will help broaden the HAZ on the 6061 side so the hardness change is not so abrupt. I generally don't post heat, but I'm usually welding large enough sections that air-cooling takes a while.

Just some thoughts...

Steve S
duckhunter27

We tried pre and post heating to no avail . I did figure out the problem they were having . The bender they were using to test the test lives was not correctly setup .
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

duckhunter27 wrote:We tried pre and post heating to no avail . I did figure out the problem they were having . The bender they were using to test the test lives was not correctly setup .
Too tight a bend for the thickness? That'll do it. 6061 has radius limits other alloys don't suffer from.

Steve S
duckhunter27

Exactly what is was . To small of a bend radius by 3/8ths . They called me in to figure out why they failed the test. When I walked in the aluminum was sitting on rusty work table , grinder with a regular wire wheel , and a couple grinding wheels . No stainless brushes and no acetone to clean with .