Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
mikelove316
    Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:38 pm

Hello everyone my names mike

the company i work for is in the transportation business. I work out of a terminal driving tractor trailers all day .
We are opening our own diesel shop soon for our truck drivers and i wanted to jump on that and move out from behind the wheel . Any way i talked to the diesel shop manager and he told me because i dont have any diesel training he would like me to go to school and get a diesel tech cert. he then told me that he starts his diesel mechanics off at 25 bucks a hour but would not be paying me that right out the gate because lack of experience. On the job application its says welding is preferred . I will be a new graduate from a welding trade school by the time the shop is open . also they want us to have a cdl which i have . any way my question is should i challenge him and ask to be started at 25 once i get my diesel cert. by the time the shop opens or just take the pay cut start at the bottom ($20-$22) get my foot in the door and start from there? the shop will offer on the job training for diesel repair and trailer maintenance. I feel this shop would be a good place to put my welding training to good use being they weld a lot of aluminum on the trailers and what not . Anyway im thinking of going with the later and just getting in . If i got to start somewhere id love to start on the right track !!!i hear and see alot of people starting way at the bottom like 10 bucks a hour tack welding at a car manufacturing plant or something else haha I really want to make the best move you know ???

what do you think ?
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I suspect the answer is going to depend on how much you trust the shop manager, and what kind of relationship you have with him. If you go for the lower rate, will he bump you up later?

Another related topic: can you bargain with him, and take the lower rate if the company will pay for your diesel training? Some places have tuition reimbursement, or maybe he'd be willing to make a deal.

Good luck with it!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Like Artie leaned to I say as well. Asking for pay is a personal thing. You have to know you can do the job perfectly, and to the quality, to get the pay you deserve. If you know the boss man may consider it go for it, but obviously do not do it if you know the boss man is going to laugh at you. And if you do it, remember to do it when the boss is happy and in a good mood. If nothing else the 20 bucks an hour will get you going alright. It will put food on the plates until you work your way up the pay ladder.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Mike, I think you should leverage your experience with the company... If you've worked for them for years in one role, you have a track record (reliability, punctuality, performance) that can be used to at least argue a compromise for your new role. Split the difference and offer $23, on condition you're evaluated in six months (three months if you're confident). If your performance is on par with the $25 wage guys, you get the bump. Pin him down on how your performance will be measured and compared, and ask for a copy of their evaluation method "so you know what's expected" (and can cry "foul" if he cheaps out on you).

Best of luck!

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You can alway push for more money but it comes down to people skills. There's also a diferance from challenging him and confronting him. Don't burn a bridge you may need to cross again in the future.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
mikelove316
    Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:38 pm

thanks everyone one . Yea so the Good news is the company does offer a tuition reimbursement for training , i have not yet spoke to it with my boss . so as of now I am wrapping up my welding training in about two months . I was thinking if I should invite my boss Eric to the graduation ceremony so he can see me walk the stage but not sure if that is to much i mean the guy really helped me out while i was in school with my work schedule and all. Most weekends he let me take off to catch on my homework or finish up projects for lab while the other guys moaned and groaned about having to come in lol . So the idea i have in my head is this .

1. Graduate welding school.
2. Invite my boss to graduation ceremony to see me walk the stage
3. Let my boss see how dedicated i am about the training .
4. Hopefully get on his good side and he signs me up for that diesel training reimbursement

I dont want to be a brown noser or anything just want to let him know i appreciate all his help

does this sound like a good plan or maybe just skip it over
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Nothing wrong with letting him know you appreciate there flexibility. Telling them thanks and giving him an invite would not be brown nosing. Unless you would be offended if he said no. That would mean you were expecting a bit much.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

If he is part of the reason you made it through that school with a job, I would definetley invite him.

Worst thing is he says no, I would invite my boss if It was me.

Of course, I don't know the guy but sounds like he might be into it, sounds like he considers you a good employee, helping you with your schedule and all.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Appreciation is never the wrong emotion. Invite him. I'd do it in person, i.e. "You were such a big part of this, I'd like to invite you to my ceremony." This gives him reward for helping you (whether he goes or not), is far more personal than a pre-printed invitation, and gives him the opportunity to say "yes" or "no" in an equally direct manner, rather than through an RSVP.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:36 am

Like others have mentioned, demand something concrete if you're comfortable. I.e., how long will you be at a decreased rate until a performance review and pay bump?

I'd also recommend looking for some other offers to leverage your pay. Welding is a valuable skill and people are always trying to find skilled tradesmen. The average welder in America is 58, meaning there aren't enough people coming in behind the boomers to fill the gaps. I'm sure your boss man is aware of this.

Anyways, if it's a good place and you like being there, just ask for specifics. Employers usually appreciate this because it shows you are serious and goal oriented- two traits that are valuable but in short supply these days.

Good luck Mike.