Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So I still have time to decide what to make a living doing but I just want to get a good idea now. And I am also considering moving up by my uncle in western Minnesota. One option up here is repairing rail cars. It kind of perked my interest and I want to learn a little more about it. I remember hearing that rail cars are typically built with dual shield flux core but other than that...heavy steel is used and that's where my knowledge stops. Any knowledge out there or tips/suggestions/gripes/complaints about repairing rail cars?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I thought i remembered seeing photos and descriptions of rail car repairs on another site, so i went to find them but couldn't, sorry.

It's hard to know which way to go. You've got a certain amount of freedom because you're not married, but you still have to ask yourself whether a long distance move is right for you. Having your uncle nearby in MN means you might have a family safety net but you'll still be far from friends and your core family.

Another thing to keep in mind, this will be the first entry on your resume, and it may shape you but it doesn’t necessarily define you. You won't be working on rail cars forever (unless you want to). Can you get a structural steel cert from this? Pressure vessel experience?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Farmwelding

The move is no big deal to me. I spend my entire summer up here anyway so I'm used to it. I may try to get a job down at home for a year or two to have some experience to list. There are also a bunch of other opportunities around the area for a guy like me and will be plenty more.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Which town are you looking at? Just curious, several train repair shops in MN.

I'm in favor of moving around while you're young - go lots of places, do lots of different work, have fun, see new places. :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding

MinnesotaDave wrote:Which town are you looking at? Just curious, several train repair shops in MN.

I'm in favor of moving around while you're young - go lots of places, do lots of different work, have fun, see new places. :)
My dad used to work for a cell gone company so he had tons of time off so I've been everywhere. Over 30 states and England. The repair shop is in Breckinridge and is with red river valley and western railroad company
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

If the pay is good enough, then I'd sure say move there and have at it - see where it leads you :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.