Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
Moffpro
    Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:08 pm

So I got my certifications back in September of 2016 and in April of 2017 I got my first welding job at a production shop. So my question is when do I start look for a better shop? I make $11 an hour and I work 45 hours a week and I pretty much just mig weld all the time. The expectations there are quantity over quality which is part of the reason I would like to leave but I also want to expand my knowledge, plus it would be nice to work at a better shop. My problem I don't know if I should wait a few more months or not.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Unless there is a great reason not to, I'm always looking for the next employment.

Never know when a job might end so I always look. Even now that I'm a teacher, I'm still always checking to make sure I know where my next job could be.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

How long have you actually been there? If less than a year I'd say stick it out at least that long. Looking for a better job is an ongoing process. There really isn't a right or wrong time. Unless something obvious pops up that's better, then at least 1year at the same place "even a sucky one" looks good on a resume.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

All valid points. The job search is a constant. A year on a first job looks good on a resume'.

That said, I made $11/hr in production in 1989/90.

How much more can you expect to learn where you're at? That was always the line I would draw. When I had learned all a job was going to teach me, I would start looking for the next learning experience.

Never quit a job without a replacement in place this early in your career. Seek out the next opportunity, and let that opportunity know you wish to give two weeks notice as a courtesy to your present employer. This will impress your prospective new employer in regards to your integrity. Never move simply sideways. If your next job is the same type of production you're doing now, an extra dollar or two an hour is meaningless, as you'll hit the same wall. Choose something where you advance and learn the next step.

Steve